cutlass door speakers

stockgp

how do the 95-95 cutlass door speakers mount? i know the tweeters had their own little pod that mounted to the door panel, but i can't recall whether the midranges had a pod, or mounted directly to the door in a cutout l;ike the rear six-by-nines.

if they mounted in pods, i'd like to get a set of 5.25( i think that's what brian told me they were) midranges and crossovers to go with the cutlass tweeters i got. the tweeters sound pretty good, but the overall effect with the 6x9s playing bass and only tweeters in the front really sounds like shit.

p.s. - does anyone happen to have a pic of a naked cutlass door? i'd like to see what it's going to take to get my cutlass door panels to fit my gp doors

The 95-97's were 5.25".

Yes, there was a plastic cup that the speaker fitted in. It pushed the speaker out about an inch from the metal panel, and also slightly angled it up and back for better imaging.

The plastic cups are about $5/each from GM if I remember right.

I think someone said the 95-97 door panels were 1-piece, so they're molded to fit around the cups. The cups are specific to each side, so you'd need a righty and a lefty.

No, 88-94 Cutlass door panels are 2-piece. 1 good size piece (about 1/3 the door panel) around and below the seatbelt, and then the other 2/3 of the door panel is another piece. It's not really related to the speakers in any way though.

Does anyone have a pic of the door on a newer cutty? I'm not sure if it has the plastic enclosure that goes around the speaker and spreads back to the back of the door and has a little "trash compartment or whatever" in it