Why does a 1990 ste have 1991 wire's Dam GM

Guest Gp crazy

Guest Gp crazy

Yep! It's true my 1990 has 1991 wiring. I looked it up on the friends work computer to day. In 1990 the STE does not exist but in 1991 there in the book? Why? Were they not going to release the STE'S until 1991 or what?

Well, the initial problem was no low beams but had high beams. We started to trace the wires from the head light's (tan) low beams and high's are (green or light green) but the problem was when we got to the plug by the passenger side door! We found out that the wires change color's high's were now (yellow with black tracer) and low's were one (dark green). but problem is the DIC Module it seams to have a problem lost grnd. or may be it's fried I do not know. But the ABS thing is now on and since I spent $800 on a new ABS unit 1 year ago and gone past the 36000 mile mark im not happy :cry:

just had to vent a little thanks jeff

That's nothing compared to the crap that Ford pulls.

I had a 1988 Club Wagon that needed a tail/stop light socket. I go around to all the Kragen/PepBoys, (AutoZone didn't exist back then), NAPA, Big A, etc. looking for a socket. Everyone tell me it's a dealer item.

So I head to the dealer; no one has it. I then drive over to the Ford dealer that does nothing but trucks. The guy tells me the socket is $96 and goes in the back to get it. He brings back this big box and pulls out a 3' length of wiring harness and tell me that this is the only way I can get a new socket. The socket isn't even for an 1157-type bulb.

I tell the guy something is screwy because I've bought 1157-type sockets from Ford....sockets with pigtails and crimp connectors. He goes back into the stockroom and hands me a plastic bag with the socket in it. "Is this what you're looking for?"

He then tell's me that Ford stopped using 1157-type bulbs in 1986...and my van is a 1988 model. :evil:

Guest TurboSedan

i know the A/C wiring changed from '90 to '91.....i found that out the hard way when i started using a '90 Grand Prix 3.1/5-speed wiring harness to control my '91 3.1 after the 5-speed swap :?

oh well...perfect reason to get rid of AC anyway and i lose maybe 50lbs (at most) and more room for a nice FMIC. removing AC gives LOTS more room up front....

Guest Gp crazy

"no1kicker wrote,

My STE had the same headlight problem. Bypass the DIC module for the low beams and it should work."

Thats what i have planed for this problem how did you keep the dic from beeping? also do you have ABS on your's? did you bypass the abs at all?

a little time and efort will save the It once agian !

thanks for the input

jeff b

The dic doesn't beep at me for the headlights. It just doesn't show if a light is out or not. I didn't bypass abs on the dic. The light was blinking resulting in that anoyying beep every second. So I pulled the abs fuse under the hood to disable it.