3.4 idles at 3000 rpm

:cry: I have a 1993 Grand Prix GTP with 82,528 miles and the 3.4 DOHC engine. It ran fine yesterday morning but when I started it in the afternoon, the idle jumped up to 3000 pm and stayed there. It would probably go higher if not for the rev limiter. I changed the TPS, cleaned and checked the IAC valve, inspected all the wiring and hoses that I could see, and checked all of the plugs. The plugs look perfect on the front three cylinders but just a very slight black tint on the back cylinders. Changed them all anyway. The computer set a code 21 (TPS) originally , I reset it and it set a code 22 (also TPS). I have not checked the code since I changed the plugs. I am thinking now that I have a plenum air leak. I need to remove it anyway because when I removed the back plugs, there was oil around the porcelin like the valve cover gasket is leaking. Anyone have any ideas?

Since I will probably change the plenum gasket before I give up and take it to the shop, does anyone with experience on this procedure have any helpful hints? Or better yet, a how-to? How difficult is it. I am not a master mechanic or anything but I have done most of my own car maintenance and repairs since the clurch replacement in my first car, a 1967 big block Mustang coupe. Now that was a fun car for a 17 year old.

The plenum gasket fixed it. It was relatively easy and took less than 2 hours which included valve cover gasket change also. I sure am glad I tried that before I had it towed to the shop. :D Thanks to all that replied.