Oh how I hate GM. Grrrrrr...

GnatGoSplat

The weatherstrip below the rear 1/4-window on my 94 Cutlass convertible has hardened and has cracks in it. It's ugly and looks like ass. I had the part #, but couldn't order it from GMPD (discontinued). I know Dal Slabaugh can search dealer's existing stock, but guess what? This is the email I got:

`hi shawn, gm just advised that they are now out of stock on the seal

strip and have dropped it, discontinued.

i also checked the national locator, there is no stocks in usa,

canada, mexico and europe

sorry

dal

How annoying is that?

Ok, so I guess the last year for the convertible was 95 so it's been almost 8yrs since the convertibles were last built, but it doesn't SEEM that long. You would think GM would stock wear items like this for longer.

Now how the hell am I going to get a decent weatherstrip?!?!! Do I have to make a clay model of it, make a cast of it, and mold it out of some RTV or something? DAMN GM!!!! If you need any GM parts for your aging W-body, you'd better order them ASAP!

Amen.. I have the same problem on my passenger side.. it's god awful ugly too.

There HAS to be a replacement out there somewhere for it.. Check with a bodyshop maybe?

How about some outside mfg. like Soft Seal or somebody. Maybe they could help. GM as a whole are incredibly short-sighted. How else could you explain after they finally get the Impala SS right in the last year, then they just drop it and abandon the entire RWD market to Ford? I mean it doesn't take a genius to see what a stupid move all that was.

Did any of you see the pics of their latest brainstorm, the LS1 powered FWD Impala SS? It 's on their GM High Performance site.

I saw that LS1 Impala, that woudl be really bad ass!! Hmmm....if they can put one in an impala, maybe it could be adaptable to say, my 92 GP??? (Wish), oh well......

I'm gonna run up to the bodyshop here in a bit (same guys that did my lumina) to see if they can get the part.. even if it's not a GM part I'd be game for getting it. Especially if that's our only resort.

have a picture of the weatherstrip? It sucks that GM must have used the older type rubber that they used on the A bodies and H bodies (that crack like hell, while the weatherstrips on the w-bodies stay flexible) maybe you could cut a piece of universal weatherstrip, or even take the old weatherstrip off, smear a bunch of black RTV on it and use masking tape to create a smooth mold while it dries?? Just a thought

I can get a pic later when I get home... but it's that flat stuff that's felt-backed and seals the gap between the rear window and the body.

It's pretty visible on the convertible. :(

If an aftermarket source could be found, that would be EXCELLENT! I would have gone aftermarket in the first place, except that I don't know of any sources other than the dealer.

Just got back from the body shop.. they called the parts supplier here and they told him that it was still available from GM.

Here's the part number he gave me: 12503936

The cost of the part was $35.. pretty pricey for a piece of rubber molding.. but I guess that's GM for you.

I had the same problem with my convertible...weather stripping worn out, and guess what? GM either no longer makes it, or wants a billion dollars for it. What I would do is check out local swap meets/car shows. They almost always have a booth or two for weather stripping. Or search the aftermarket on the internet.

Just got back from the body shop.. they called the parts supplier here and they told him that it was still available from GM.

Here's the part number he gave me: 12503936

The cost of the part was $35.. pretty pricey for a piece of rubber molding.. but I guess that's GM for you.

Yeah, that's the same part I tried to order. I would even pay $35 for it if I could get it, but I can't.

Try plugging it into GMPD, won't work. :(

hmm.. Once I get paid here in a few weeks, I'll go up there and have them order it.. if I can get it, you can send me the money and I'll pick one up and ship it to you.