Wiper Blade position not right.

jesse

Recently replaced wiper switch on my `94 Cutlass Supreme SL. Had electical problems in the past that I was not able to troubleshoot until wipers quit completly.

Wipers move as directed in all speed positions, but they move off the

window. Literally, the center of the blade travels all the way to the edge

of the window and the top half goes over the edge.

I had the wiper arms off so that I could take the trim off to expose the

motor area, was looking to see if there was something obviously wrong that might have caused them to not work properly before going into the sterring column. But I did not touch anything under there, and there is only one way for the wipers to go back on. The mounting shaft has molded plastic hanging off one side that acts as a key, there is no way to adjust the position in the process of mounting the arm to the shaft. And if alternate sides it is obviously not right.

Is there a procedure to calibrate their position?

And where is the parking switch? I do not think this would be the problem,

they go down when turned off, but maybe not all the way. I am looking for

picture of my car, or another to see where they should rest when turned off.

Yeah I've kinda got the same problem. Right wiper hangs off the edge but the driver's side is about 3-4inches short before it reaches the edge. Sucks cause it leaves a blind spot there in the rain. Tried taking them off to adjust them because I've got room to work with since they aren't that close when they meet in middle but that damn plastic key dosent allow for adjustment. I've been thinking of just sanding down part of the plastic so that I can reinstall the arm a couple of degrees farther out. That's all I can suggest for now, will let you know how it turns out when i get around to it. Any other suggestions? Thanks

I have thought of that too, simply removing the plastic altogether.

I just cannot see how this would happen, all the views that I see in the Haynes repair maunual I have show very solid connections in the linkages. Even the travel being non-adjustable as I can see.

And I was very carefull to not turn the mount when I removed the arms.

I have tried swapping sides, the fluid lines bind. Even found another Olds in the nieghborhood and took a look, same mount, blades to the outsides of the arms.

There is a way to calibrate or adjust wipers. You need 2 people. It is as follows, but I'm not sure of the years it applies to. I know this is how to do it on all the 97+ W and U platforms

remove the wiper arms, all the trim and remove the linkage from the crank arm(park arm). Then remove the park arm from the motor. Turn the ignition to run and place the wiper switch in delay mode, have someone watch the motor and as soon as it stops rotating turn the ignition off. You may need to let the wipers cycle a couple of times in the delay mode to get it just right. Do not turn the wiper switch off, just the ignition switch.

Reinstall the park arm so there is aprox 3-4mm between the spring loaded tang on the park arm and the metal tang on the wiper transmission. this will ensure that the wipers park all the way down. Use loctite on all the fasteners.

after you have the park arm and the linkage installed, turn the ignition switch to run again and turn off the wiper switch. Now install the trim and finally install the wiper arms in their fully parked position.

note the condition of the park arm and make sure nothing is bent or broken. This procedure works with most GM vehicles, winter plays havoc on wipers here and I'm fixing them on a daily basis at work.

That sounds like a pain. Would not be so bad if the hood was not in the way, and I could fit my car into the garege out of the rain. (back trouble)

Wish I was working, I could pay someone to mess with it.

I am not attempting anything more than basic maintanance after this, seems I cause more trouble everytime I dig into these things.

Thank for the info, hope to put it to use tomorrow.

JESS

I'm not sure if it applies to your vehicle, but it's quite easy. I do these on a daily basis, So that's probably why I find it so easy.

Close the hood after you've got all the trim replaced, install the arms with the hood closed. Should make it a little easier.

On my way to get some locktight now. I will at least open it up and see if I find any fresh metal that would indicate recent slipping of anything.

Will not put it back together until I find something, because the problem has to be under there, right?

Just found out that the PLASTIC KEYS come off of the mount so you can re-position them. They may be tough to get off without taking the trim off. Mine are cracked so they are able to slip, but once you have the arms in the right position and tightened it should not make a diiference.

I had tried to turn them when the trim was on but could not get enough leverage.

And I find no room for adjusting anything at all, everything sems to be fixed.

Hey GPRACER, Just wanted to be clear/sure the instructions you gave for calibrating for a 97+ W's are for wipers that come together in the middle right... like a corvette? I'm not sure if they changed over to "normal wipers" by then. That does sound like a pain, but it sounds like how to calibrate back to factory spec. Mine seem like the drivers side arm is just not at the right orientation.

Jesse- So I have not got down to taking all the trim off but when you do get down that far the keys are adjustable? Do you have to break them to get them from their fixed position?

Well I not sure i have time for that yet but I might get inspired to take it apart one day. One day this spring before all the daily afternoon storms down here in FL.

Too bad they couldn't make it as easy as on import rides where you can just unscrew and reposition. I've seen more than one rice conversion to single wiper "mercedes look" done before, pretty easy.

cmo1234

On my `94 old's you do not need to take off the trim, as long as the cutout on the trim is ok. Mine was not centered on the drivers side so I took a utility knife and cut it open just a bit.

The trim will all have to be in place for adjustment!!!

Just remove the wiper arms, and gently, but firmly pull the plastic key straight off the mounting shaft, it will help if you can get a couple of fingers under the edge. They have very small splines that keep them from TURNING.

Simply position them ONTO your wiper arms, and install the wiper arm on the shaft.

It may take a couple tries before you get it just right.

Hold the wiper off the window by inserting a rivot in the hole near the base of the arm, in case you do not know, it makes removal easier.

"BUT MAKES SURE YOU REMOVE THE RIVOT BEFORE YOU TURN ON THE WIPERS, or you will catch them on the hood, and things could get uglier".

I found this all to be easier by removing the wipers from the wiper arms before getting started, and put a heavy sock on the ends of the arms to cushion them when they hit the window comeing fron the parked position.

You will no doubt have to take them off at least a couple of times to dial them in.

The procedure works for almost all the gm wiper types except for the trucks, I have personally used it on 97+ century,regal,grandprix,sunfire,cavalier,montana,venture,impala,monte carlo, bonney and the park ave, so I know it works.