Aftermarket Fogs

runt

Alright. I just did a search, and I think I figured a way to wire them. That really isn't too hard. But I was just wondering what people were using for their aftermarket fog lights. The glass on mine look like shit and one is starting to crack or something. I just want to find something that will fit (or damn close) into the stock location. Then it's just a matter of cutting out the stock relay and wiring up the new relay and the fogs. So...let me know.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terryk2003

• Brian P

• dsgrntld187

• GutlessSupreme

BLAZER TECH 2600's...they are actually SUV driving lights...but they are EXTREMELY BRIGHT!!...and they fit nicely in the factory location! :wink:

ditto :withstupid: Pain in the ass to get them mounted and aimed correctly, but probably no different than any other aftermarket set. They're brighter than my highbeams (much more focused beam pattern though obviously).

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/489673/3

I didn't even cut anything, I left the factory harness alone, ran just the power wires up to the driver-side fuse/relay box, stuck the positive wire under the proper prong, closed the box and ground the black wire to a bolt right next to it on top of the fender. Didn't use the relay that came with it. Easy as pie.

mounting them isnt too bad...just takes some thought to figure up a bracket setup...aiming WAS sort of a PAIN...talk about getting FLASHED!!... :lol: ...i still get flashed a lot more then i used too...and, i cut the factory foglight plugs off of mine and solered the blazertech wires right to the end of the factory harness... :wink:

Gutless: Bascially your saying that all you did was use the stock relay located in the fuse box? So you didn't even use the stock wires...is that what your saying? (sorry I got business classes on the mind)

I'm not so much worried about making a bracket if I have to b/c it's not too hard to fab something quick if I gotta.

Gutless: Bascially your saying that all you did was use the stock relay located in the fuse box? So you didn't even use the stock wires...is that what your saying? (sorry I got business classes on the mind)

Exactly. Just because I didn't feel like cutting up the factory wires though, for whatever reason. If you've got factory fogs, there's no reason to have to run any wiring or relays that come with the new ones as you can just splice the factory wires right at the bumper, and even if you go my way it's just running a little bit of wire up to the box.

And you can use brackets that you already have, just have to be a little creative. The sides of the stock brackets bend in at the points where the stock fogs mount, I had to pound these flat (cutting would probably be easier so you don't bend the whole brackets like i did), then mounted the supplied new backets on top of the base of the factory ones and mounted the fogs in there. I would have just used the factory brackets and said screw to the blazertech ones, but the mounting points on the light casing are near the top, not the center, so it didn't quite line up with the hole in the bumper easily.

I was wondering about the wiring of fog lights as well. On the 4 door GP's (at least on mine) the bottom switch on the light control seems it's for fogs, but when I turned it on nothing turned on. The wiring that the 2 doors use for fogs is purple and black. My purple and black wires were for my center lights in the lightbar, which turn on with the parking lights. So s the wiring just hooked up in different in the 4 doors? My car didn't have any fog/driving lights on it before.

Exactly. Just because I didn't feel like cutting up the factory wires though, for whatever reason. If you've got factory fogs, there's no reason to have to run any wiring or relays that come with the new ones as you can just splice the factory wires right at the bumper, and even if you go my way it's just running a little bit of wire up to the box.

And you can use brackets that you already have, just have to be a little creative. The sides of the stock brackets bend in at the points where the stock fogs mount, I had to pound these flat (cutting would probably be easier so you don't bend the whole brackets like i did), then mounted the supplied new backets on top of the base of the factory ones and mounted the fogs in there. I would have just used the factory brackets and said screw to the blazertech ones, but the mounting points on the light casing are near the top, not the center, so it didn't quite line up with the hole in the bumper easily.

:withstupid: ...and as far as where to buy the blazertechs...try EBAY...thats where i got mine and i belive gutless got his there too...i payed $25 for mine (including shipping)...

I was wondering about the wiring of fog lights as well. On the 4 door GP's (at least on mine) the bottom switch on the light control seems it's for fogs, but when I turned it on nothing turned on. The wiring that the 2 doors use for fogs is purple and black. My purple and black wires were for my center lights in the lightbar, which turn on with the parking lights. So s the wiring just hooked up in different in the 4 doors? My car didn't have any fog/driving lights on it before.

Isn't the light bar considered your fog lights?

well i got flat oval 5 inch foglights i bought off the net, they arent that bright but make the car look real nice. for mounting, i destroyed the old fog lights and used the stock bracket, after removing the old foglight crap from the actuall bracket i hammered flat the back flat peice of metal, using the original holes on the backet i put the foglights in and used 2 screws to hold them in, used the original wireing for the fog lights, here is a link of the ones i got.

http://www.lightlens.com/foglights.htm

06-007 model

55 watt

Slim Rectangular Halogen Lamp Set Clear 5" x 2", H3 12V 55W Bulbs

ill take some pics of what i did and show you, its not that hard to do.

here is a yahoo photo link to the pics. also does anyone know a site where i can link directly to the photos, yahoo doesent allow it.

http://photos.yahoo.com/smoke1991 fog light, 2 pictures, the front one is to get an idea of the side brackets, the back one you can see what i did, use your emagination when fabing stuff. its fun!.

ignore any typos.

Mine crapped out too. I found a website detailing how to make your own replacement lenses (just checked and the site isn't there anymore). I bought some plexiglas, some clear silicone and a Dremel and away I went. Made a cardboard template around the housing and even painted the badly faded chrome reflectors in the housing. Sealed it all up and it works like a charm. My old bulbs would blow in heavy rain they were cracked so badly. The new ones are watertight and the bulbs are still kicking one year later. Are actually brighter now than OEM because the plexiglas I used is smooth and clear, not ridge like the original lenses. Just my two cents.

• 1 month later...

BumP1!

I just got mine in the mail. Thanks for the heads up about the stock brackets and using the blazer tech's brackets over it. But then again wouldn't it make sense to just use the blazer tech bracket and ditch the stocker? If the response is "But "Brain" the holes aren't in the same spot as factory" then how does the bracket mount on with keeping the factory one there? Force?

I like the wiring they give. Pretty friggin robust, thicker than stock. I may use it!

IMG_6103%20(Small).jpg

IMG_6111%20(Small).jpg

top mount hole on the blazertech brackets, mount bends on stockers bent out.

I used the double sided tape that came with them to hold them on the stockers, but I wouldn't recommend it. maybe just use it while test aiming/aligning them, then drive some holes in the stocker to match the holes on the new bracket and bolt it down.

my driver side's held fine, but I pulled up lightly on the tape when first installing the passenger side light and it severly weakened the stickiness. I still have to fix it.. right now it flops up and down whenever I hit the brakes :lol:

good luck aiming them.. it's a bitch and three quarters. make sure you screw them in good too, or put some hot glue on the screws or something so they don't come loose on you.

thats basically how i did it!...except i used screwed to hold the stock bracket to the new one...i also didnt really have trouble aiming mine...and i used lock washers to hole the screws in so they don't move...mine are still exACTLY where i put em 2 months ago! :twisted:

Mine are INCREDIBLY ghetto rigged. I bent one of the arms on the B/T mounts, and then accidentally snapped one of the mounting brackets on the fogs off, and then put it in like that. I'll take a pic tomorrow, when its not raining.

you can use the blazertech brackets BUT, you will have to use washers or something to space it down from where it mounts cause it won't be in the center of the factory hole...

I finally figured out what you meant by washers. God DAMN I'm stupid.. that would've been so much easier... :bash:

you can use the blazertech brackets BUT, you will have to use washers or something to space it down from where it mounts cause it won't be in the center of the factory hole...

I finally figured out what you meant by washers. God DAMN I'm stupid.. that would've been so much easier... :bash:

:lol: ..WELL...it looks like i did mine almost exaclty like you did yours...i'll try and take some pics sometime here if it ever stops raining and being COLD out... :evil:

:lol: ..WELL...it looks like i did mine almost exaclty like you did yours...i'll try and take some pics sometime here if it ever stops raining and being COLD out... :evil:

What he means is he'll get out next summer and take them because the midwest will NEVER stop being cold out till then :lol:

What he means is he'll get out next summer and take them because the midwest will NEVER stop being cold out till then :lol:

well, i was thinkin SPRING! :wink: :lol: ...actually, i'll try sometime soon...

that's really something, I am just reading this NOW, and have already installed the lights, and I did them excactly the same way. I'l upload pics in a little bit.

How were they hard to aim? Took like 20 seconds. The only issue I have is the right one I want to point a little more "right" but just loosening one bolt on the stock bracket, "persuading it" to the way I want, and retighten, should do it.

But I must admit, to whoever pioneered using this model light, you might want to put a disclaimer- REALLY FUCKING BRIGHT. In fact I think it's too bright. to the point where I might not want to keep them on all the time.