Help needed to install my deck

MommyTaz022200

My old deck was stolen out of my other car parked in my driveway right next to my house, so I'm trying to figure out how to install my new one so that either You can’t tell it’s even there or it would take a thief way too much time to even bother with it.

Idea #1 – I wanted to make some type of door that would match the dash trim and would slide down to cover the deck when I'm parked, and then open up and slide into the dash when I'm driving, kind of like how the Chameleon decks work but I can't find anywhere that sells something like that or figure out how it would be made. Anyone know of anything like that or how to design something like it?

Idea #2 – Bolt it to some metal so it can't just be pulled out by taking the plastic trim piece off, like mounted from the back of the deck to some metal that won't just bend. I'm willing to take my dash out of the car if I have to so I can mount it. I spent a lot of money on my deck, and I know some people will probably say "Don't put an expensive deck in your car if you don't want it to be able to get stolen", but I am just one of those people who has to have good sounding music for me to drive around. Anyone know if there are any good metal areas behind the dash close to the deck that I can mount it to?

I can’t think of anywhere else to move it to since the dash space is kind of filled up in the back leaving not enough room for the deck’s depth. Since it’s a CD player I’m figuring it has to be mounted flat (opposed to standing up with the face towards the ceiling) so the CD’s eject.

you could always mount the deck under a seat or in the center console and use a remote to control it and make your radio bay a cubby hole.

I had the radio out of my 95 Grand Prix recently and there's absolutely no metal to be found behind where it mounts (it's all that shitty, weak black flimsy plastic.)

IMHO, no matter what you do to reinforce the deck, if a thief wants it bad enough, they're gonna get it. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to break the areas surrounding the deck either.

I used to have an old Pioneer non-detachable face deck (that outlasted 2 of my old beaters!) I made a cheap disguise by cutting apart a plastic detachable face case (cutting it at the "hinge" and using the bottom half) and mounting some velcro to the inside of the case and the top of the deck. Whenever I parked the car, on went the "disguise." I have friends that live in the "bad part of town" and parked my car(s) there many many times and nobody fucked with my stereo. Simple but effective...

you could always mount the deck under a seat or in the center console and use a remote to control it and make your radio bay a cubby hole.

Where under the seats? I have heater vents and power seat motors under my front seat, otherwise I would since I can just buy the converter for steering wheel controls to work or the E-Com box so I can just say next track and the next track will play. (I think that's even better then a remote, since I would loose the remote within 24 hours.)

I have no idea where in the center console there would be any space without standing it up.

I had the radio out of my 95 Grand Prix recently and there's absolutely no metal to be found behind where it mounts (it's all that shitty, weak black flimsy plastic.)

That's what I've seen so far so I figured I'd ask if there is anything behind it nearby instead of ripping it apart to find out the answer is No.

IMHO, no matter what you do to reinforce the deck, if a thief wants it bad enough, they're gonna get it. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to break the areas surrounding the deck either.

I know it wouldn't be 100% thief proof but I do have an alarm system with Autopaging, so I was thinking if it was bolted to something it would take the thief longer to get it out then it would for me to get to my car when I'm at school or a store. I can pull it out in less then 5 minutes, and that's when I have to pull the bolts out, sometimes my walk from my car to my classes is more then a 5 minute walk.

I used to have an old Pioneer non-detachable face deck (that outlasted 2 of my old beaters!) I made a cheap disguise by cutting apart a plastic detachable face case (cutting it at the "hinge" and using the bottom half) and mounting some velcro to the inside of the case and the top of the deck. Whenever I parked the car, on went the "disguise." I have friends that live in the "bad part of town" and parked my car(s) there many many times and nobody fucked with my stereo. Simple but effective...

This is close to what I was thinking for Idea #1. I was going to use the sunglasses holder in the overhead console from like a van or SUV or something like that and glue a chunk of plastic the size of my face to the front of it and get one of the cheap stick-on sunglasses holders to tape to the front of that. Then when it's pushed up it will "latch" and it will look like I just made the deck hole into a place to hold my sunglasses, and flipped down it will be under the deck, out of the way. I don't want it to look sloppy or stupid when it's open.

What would be really cool is to just keep the factory deck, or just geret a tape deck.. And just use a CD changer.. Mount it inside the car sdo you can switch them easily.. I would like to have a small profile CD changer insiode so all my CDs arent rolling all over the car..

people round here glue razor blades to thier amps so no one steals them and when they do BLOOOOD!!

Anyway i would just get one with a removeable face and take the face in every night. When my amp and subs got stolen they didn't take the radio and the face was above my visor. So if i were you either mount it in the glove box or get one with a removeable face and get a alarm. Later Jay

yea i just recently bought an aiwa with the detachable face

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?fg=000000&bg=336633&migration=1&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/596000-596999/596716_6_full.jpg

its been a really good deck so far and i work at a bad part of town so eveytime i get out to go to work I either take the deck with me or I lock it up in the glove box.

people round here glue razor blades to thier amps so no one steals them and when they do BLOOOOD!!

Anyway i would just get one with a removeable face and take the face in every night. When my amp and subs got stolen they didn't take the radio and the face was above my visor. So if i were you either mount it in the glove box or get one with a removeable face and get a alarm. Later Jay

I bought a car one time that the guy "forgot" to tell me he had done the razor blade trick on. cut the hell out of my hands.... :evil:

This got me to thinking. I remember about 9 or 10 years ago I had a subscription to the short-lived "Peterson's Autotronics" magazine and I seem to recall an 89 Trans Am in one issue where the owner found a factory block-off plate from Pontiac that covered over the entire area where the stereo sits. I guess it was for the TA's that had a radio delete option. Anyways, he mounted his headunit behind the plate after cutting a small slit for the CD's to load. He mounted the HU's display inside the rearview mirror (I think it was one of those Auto-dimming mirrors) behind the glass. He had all of the controls integrated into the Steering Wheel control buttons.

He didn't reveal any of his secrets though, but I thought it was worth a mention...

What about simply removing the faceplate and taking it with you when you leave the car.....?

It's not a removable faceplate, it flips down and the slot for CD's is behind it. As far as I know Eclipse hasn;t made detachable faces for 3+ years now. The TransAm install sounds cool, but wouldn't work for me to be able to put CD's in. As far as getting a new deck... mine is new. I haven't ever used it yet, I got a discount on it because my old one was under warrenty when it was stolen, so instead of getting a replacement of that model I decided to go for taking the amount I paid for it as a credit on my new one. It still cost me $300+ after the discount.

I like the idea of using a tape deck with a CD changer. That's what I'm eventually going to do. (for my GP) I've got a '94-'00 Pontiac tape deck, an Alpine changer to GM deck adaptor, and an Alpine CD changer. I went with the Alpine changer because they're usually cheaper on eBay than the GM changer. Also, the Alpine cable is way cheaper than the GM one. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the components to work together - maybe the model of changer I have isn't compatible with the adaptor. Of course, a FM modulated changer would be easier to do.

Another idea is to get a cheap factory radio (can find them for around $5 on eBay) for parts. Remove the radio's face and glue or screw the buttons to it. This can be used as a false face that nobody will look at twice. If just a blank plate was used, people might suspect that you are trying to hide something. The deck would have to be mounted further back (I'm not sure if there'd be enough room) to allow room for the false face. The types of fasteners used for speaker grilles could be used to hold the face on.

I wouldn't try the heavy duty mount. Like said, I don't think there is anything substantial back there to mount it to. If done, a theif will get mad trying to get it out and trash everything around it.

Awesome idea.. but I can so see a lawsuit coming from that. Believe it or not, the thief usually wins.

Guest Anonymous
What would be really cool is to just keep the factory deck, or just geret a tape deck.. And just use a CD changer.. Mount it inside the car sdo you can switch them easily.. I would like to have a small profile CD changer insiode so all my CDs arent rolling all over the car..

Thats what I'm planning to do with mine someday.

Ok, Now you guys got my mind really working overtime...

My car had a factory tape player in it when I bought it. Now I'm thinking I could rip the guts out of the tape deck, make the face into a door that swings open with some little hinges, and mount my deck in the inside of the tape deck. I'll have to figure out how to put the thing in my dash since my deck is deeper then the tape deck. Maybe I can make the whole area that the deck and heater sit in sit outward enough. I just wonder if it woud get too hot, since my old deck seemed to get quite hot. I was going to run a 10MM computer fan to cool it off, the fan in my computer case has blue LED's in it and I think it would look pretty cool in a car, but I'm not real sure about the car's ability to power the fan, since I'm not sure if the car puts out the same kind of power as the fan needs.

Hmmmm........

Gut out the stock deck. Even remove the back panel piece from the stock deck, since your gonna need space for the new depth of the CD player. Then make like some sort of hing assembly on that stock deck, with a face that moves around, comes off, whatever. Then inside the stock deck that you gutted out, make your own custom mounting kit(your gonna have to, as I see no other way of mounting your new CD player). Then, just wire it up and go.

Can somebody tell me how the razor blade trick works? Where do you put them?

it works when the amp is mounted on the back seat, or where they thief would put his hands to pull them amp up to try to grab it (when screwed down) Then you take hot glue or superglue and glue the razor blades on the amp to try and cut the thiefs hands when he pullls up on it..

Can somebody tell me how the razor blade trick works? Where do you put them?

it works when the amp is mounted on the back seat, or where they thief would put his hands to pull them amp up to try to grab it (when screwed down) Then you take hot glue or superglue and glue the razor blades on the amp to try and cut the thiefs hands when he pullls up on it..

:lol: I'd pay money to see that actually happening. Picturing it in my mind is making me laugh.

Here's an idea... get one of those super strong cables that electronics stores superglue to laptops or other expensive devices thay have on display. I'm not sure how those are connected but they seem to be on there really really strong... anyways, attach one end to the unseen side of your deck and the other end to a strong metal piece behind the dash.. someone will be able to get it out of the dash but the cable will keep them from taking it out of the car. Chances are a theif wouldn't have brought cable cutters anticipating such a defense.