does dexcool mix well with the green stuff?

musthavemuzk

with me buying the cutty in may and not knowing if the car was driven in the MN winters i am thinkin i should start prepping this car for the MN winters. the green coolant in there seems fine as far as color goes, but have not pulled out the tester to see how it is holding up that way.

was just reading this http://redfox340.tripod.com/wbodyperformance/id8.html

and it says that they do not mix well. dexcool and the green stuff.

just wondering how special dexcool is and is it all that it is cracked up to be? or just stick with the green stuff?

what i know about dexcool.

the stuff in my friends 97 blazer is orange in color

i have also been told that there is a red as well.

it last along time. like 100,000 miles or 5 years or something like that.

when topping of a car with dexcool you need to use dexcool or problems will arise.

that is about it

thanx in advance

Monty

Guest 96SupremeCuttySL

I don't know if I actually read this somewhere, or I imagined it, but if you mix the dexcool and the green stuff, they can eat away at sealers, and cause coolant leaks. I also think that the Dexcool is safer for the environment. Other than that, I don't remember reading about any other benefits, though.

DO NOT MIX THESE 2 TOGETHER! If you vehicle originally had the green stuff (ethylene glycol), just keep running that. Switching over can cause major detrioration of your cooling system, because it was not designed for DEX-COOL.

Don't mix 'em. You will need to do a full flush before switching to Dex-cool.

When topping off a car with Dex-cool, you must use Dex-cool.

Prestone has a formula they claim is Dex-cool compatible, but it's not the same. I have been told it is NOT real Dex-cool so DO NOT use it. You must use real Texaco (Havoline) or GM Dex-cool.

You will have no problems switching to Dex-cool provided you do a complete flush, just use a 50/50 mix Dex-cool and distilled water. GM has said that they've designed their cooling systems to reduce cavitation so that most of their older engines are Dex-cool safe.

I've been running Dex-cool in my '89 Cutty and my wife's '88 for 3-4 years with no adverse effects. No crust or turning brown either, I think that only happens when someone contaminates the system with high-mineral water or the green stuff.

guess i will have to decide what i want to do then as i still get mixed views on whether to go with it or not.

thanx for the input though.

always nice to hear different opinions on the topic at hand

Monty