Fuel pump/tank questions...

Jon89le

Im just about finishing up with my motor and its time for me to install my new fuel pump and filter. Im not asking about the filter because i saw a topic on it already. Is replacing the pump hard to do without being able to raise the whole car up? Does the entire tank need to be dropped or what? Anything i should look/check for? Are there any O-rings that i should get at the dealer instead of the black ones sold in stores?

Now my gas tank has been sitting with a little gas in it for a few years now. After i drain that gas out, what can i clean the tank with? I have a nice new motor so id like to start out with a nice tank and everything. Being that, that gas was sitting there, would i need to worry about the fuel lines or anything being dirty or am i justing being way to anal about the car? Thanks for any help and if you would like to share anything in addition to the questions i asked, please feel free. Thanks again.

Jon,

Yeah, you'll most likely have to drop the tank since the pump in in the fuel cell itself. From there, since the tank is already pulled from the car: sky's the limit on anything: rust prevention (a big thing for the midwest) visual inspections, and just making sure the cell won't fall apart on you. Also, just double check fuel lines for wear and deteriation... To clean the tank out, swish around some heavy duty laquer thiner and when you're about to re-install, pour in just a tad of gasoline. Worse part of the porject is that you don't want to fry the new fuel pump after installing from not filling the tank to a safe level.

- RedFox340

Yes, you do have to drop the tank. You don't need to lift the whole car, just the rear-end. A standard jack and jackstands will get it high enough.

Replacing the pump is not that hard to do, just not fun, and very smelly. The most difficult part for me, was getting the hoses off the tank. They were stuck TIGHT. I made it harder than necessary, because I didn't want to pay the $30 for new formed hoses and went to great lengths to ensure that the came off clean so I could reuse them. I succeeded, but it would have been LOTS easier if I could have just cut them with a razor knife and replaced them with new hoses. You might keep this in mind. If you want to salvage them too, you might look at getting some special hose pliers or something. I even pulled the wheel off to try getting a better grip on them, and it still wasn't that easy. There are 2 hoses, the fuel filler hose and the vent hose.

I wouldn't worry about cleaning the tank unless it needs it. When I dropped the tank on my wife's '88 Cutlass, it was spotless.

• 3 weeks later...

Its really not that hard to change the fuel pump i did it myself when my fuel pump went on me. i backed my car up on the ramps and unbolted the straps for the gas tank and dissconected the hoses to the tank. just be carefull handling the sending unit thats sits on top of the gas tank..

Craig

1989 Olds Cutlass 2.8L