1990 International Series - trans problem?

alldz

Hey all!

I'm new here but am looking at a 1990 Cutlass International Series. I don't know what the mileage is on it but it appears to be in nice shape but the trans is screwed. The car has the 3.1 v6 engine. All for $1000 Canadian.

What transmission does this have? I searched through the powertrain forum and it looks like it could be a few things (fluid change, ECM, etc). The guy is away for a few days so I could only speak to his wife who didn't know much.

If the rest of the car is in decent shape, is this a good deal?

Thanks,

Aldo

$1000 can? I think it's an OK deal...if the car is nice and the trans is the ONLY problem. The trans is no big deal, even if you cant fix it by replacing fluid or such. They go for around $200-$500 us in junkyards.

I say look around more. I picked up my 90 CS International for $1500 in Toronto a couple of years ago and it was in solid condition, fully loaded with all options except for HUD. I took a good look at it, inside and out for about an hour.

This is what I saw:

1990 CS International (white, gray body kit)

3.1L Auto, ~ 220,000 kms on the odometer

Leather bucket seats (in good condition), working pneumatic controls

working Climate Control, DIC, Upgraded digital dash

working power antenna, pw windows/doors, keyless entry

all the rest stock.. 16" rims, etc..

Aside from some superficial paint chips, brakes that needed to be refurbished (not unusual for a 1st gen w-body), and one bad motor mount, the car was in great condition for something with 220k on it. Someone took care of it all the way along upto the last year or so.

I bought it on the spot.

The wholesaler was actually one step away from shipping it off to a salvage yard for parts. I couldn't believe this because mechinically the car was in excellent condition. It was just dirty looking from sitting at a dealership that bought it off the original buyer who probably got a measly sum for it.

I say be picky, you can afford to be. I've seen tons of w-bodies in used car lots. Dealers know how fast they depreciate, specially with high kms. You can negotiate. Use your eyes, feel and touch to sort out the junks from the good finds. I have a list of stuff I check even before starting the car, it usually saves me a lot of time and salesman hassle. I just say "Give me a few minutes to look at it by myself."

• 2 weeks later...

Try and maybe they will lower a price a little bit more, and yes that car probably WILL need a new trans, i had a same problem with my Trans before and i paid 650 with labor to change for another one so its not bad. And if you have some money and you dont need that car right now you could do some research and find a nice 5 speed for it.

my 4t60 is acting a fool also but I am switching to a 5-speed. I found a guy that will put in the 282 with clutch for $400 :lol: I have to install the console, shifter, cables, master cyl. He is going to put on the motor mounts, shafts and intermediate, and install the tranny/clutch/flywheel. Tell me thats not an incredible deal. I told him if he gets in done faster than a day and a half I'll give him another $100+ :D Of course he has a lift and he is not going to remove the whole motor just drop the crossmember or something. He said he has done 3 gp already but this was the first conversion.