Has anyone ever seen a rare 93 Lumina 2.2 L4??

holstbnet

Guest Gp crazy

I saw a White GP 199x Le with a 2.4 Quad 4 it look slow as hell that car weighed in at 3224 + OR - a few lb. it had suffered the case of valve into piston problem the miles were 120,999 I believe VIN code was A. i think it was also a 125c tranny?

just drooped a line Jeff b

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobertISaar

• seanwil12

• excelsior

• White93z34

I don't know how anyone can say the 3.1 is slow . It sure as hell ain't FAST.. but it's quick enough to blend into traffic on the interstate.. pass a car on the highway... etc.. just what a majority of consumers are looking for. Granted, there are faster things out there, but I've got no complaints about my 3100 daily driver. I don't race it every weekend. I guess if I wanted to run it, I sure wouldn't have bought a GM sedan.

maybe we should define slow and really slow.

3.1 = slow.

heck 2.8 = slow while were at it.

So does base model tauri including the ones today, almost every 6 cyl. by DC & Ford, every 4 cyl. toyota save for the 6 spd celica, alot of Hondas, alot of Nissans pre-2.5/3.5 4 & 6 cylinder engines respectively.

Really slow = 3 cyl. metro, vans, 2.2 luminas haha, 4 cyl. tauri, almost anything from the 80's that isnt n/a or have an 8 cyl., every 4 cyl. by Ford really.....any auto 4 cyl. honda/toyota/

the 3100 is fast enough to get a little respect...it will smoke 80% of the Trucks/SUV's that are on the road, along with most if not all automatic normally aspirated 4cyl's, any GM v6 car with a th-125, 1992 saturn sl1 w/5-speed....i remember driving my sister's '94 when my parents owned it to High School and embarrasing the piss outta people who thought they had hot cars...that thing to this day can leave tons of rubber, and it will still go 120mph easily

The whole time that things been in my family, we've only had to replace the battery and rear struts (only actually had to replace 1)

3.1 = slow 3100 = average.......it just feels slow after test driving the following cars: modded 3.1 f body*modded enough to make it equal in power to the 3100* + lighter weight + probably better geating = faster car a 305 even though it was the 170 hp version, fords 5.0 v8 tbird, & a sho.....

• 3 weeks later...

This guy I used to know had an 88 Civic 4 door with a 5-speed. He had straight pipe exhaust, some fancy $200 intake, and some pep-boys 15" wheels and tires. I used to race him in my mom's 92 Lumina Euro with the 3.1 auto. I never lost one race to him. All the Euro had was a K&N drop in.

However, the 3.1's are slow by today's standards. And they are especially slow when you're coming from a 5-speed LQ1... but we're talking about bone-stock 3.1's. The turbo and modded (wild cam, wazoo exhaust, ported everything) 3.1's are awesome cars. My friend has a 92 Baretta with a 3.1 (I don't know if it came stock or if he used it to replace a 2.8). Lemme tell you that is a fast mother fucker, and it's an auto too.

And the guy that said van's are slow... lemme race you in my dad's 95 GMC Safari :twisted: It's not as fast as my 5 speed Z34, but I've kept up with Automatic LQ1's in it. It has almost 204,000 miles on it too, and never been rebuilt. The 4.3's last forever. However the tranny has gone once and the rear-end once also.

ok my 3.1 isn fast but i can beat the piss out of it and it enjoys every minute of it...... and no 3.4 owner can say that.

I can. I beat the everloving piss out of my 3.4 w/o ANY complaints. hell, I'm still on the factory alternator, and the t-belt is still brand new, and if it's ever been changed, it wasn't in my city.

I off-road with my Z, I've towed a friends Jeep Commanche with my Z... and even though it weighs in at 3800lbs + on a good day, it still pulls a 16.5 in the 1/4 mile, and it burns no oil, I only have to add 1 quart of oil between changes (4200 miles or so)

and the thing still gets 30 MPG @ 120km/h (75MPH)

it's just that most 3.4 owners are afraid to beat them this hard... lol

it's just that most 3.4 owners are afraid to beat them this hard... lol

Either that or they sit at home and jerk off to their w-body and think its some godly car that's gonna be worth some money and get respect when nobody else out there gives a fuck

I say to hell with it...if it's ugly...and has no resale value...beat the hell out of it

theres a 93 2.2 car in the yard by me. me and gp90se saw it when we were hunting for parts when he was out here last august.

snap a pic next time...I have seen a duke lumina but never a 2.2 one...

• 8 years later...
yeah harsh words Brad :wink:

I cant imagine the lumina coming with a 2.2. what a waste of a car. I think riding your bike would be faster :lol:

then why don't you ride your bike!? I would definitely drive a 2.2L lumina vs riding a bike. Just sayin. But I do think the 2.0L Neons have more power lol

Please inform me as to why it's such a big deal.

Never did get why people get all butthurt at old thread bumpage, it gave me some pretty entertaining reading fodder.

The 2.2s are/were damn near bulletproof. Head gaskets would go but they were ridiculously simple to fix. My first car (Beretta) had a 2.2 auto and it could barely keep up with traffic. Merging onto the interstate in it was downright dangerous. I'd imagine a 2.2 W-body would be even worse.

AFAIK, there were exactly 2 calibrations released for the 2.2 luminas... one california, one federal. BBTY and BBTZ. have never ran across one of those before either.

the 3100 is fast enough to get a little respect...it will smoke 80% of the Trucks/SUV's that are on the road, along with most if not all automatic normally aspirated 4cyl's, any GM v6 car with a th-125, 1992 saturn sl1 w/5-speed....i remember driving my sister's '94 when my parents owned it to High School and embarrasing the piss outta people who thought they had hot cars...that thing to this day can leave tons of rubber, and it will still go 120mph easily

The whole time that things been in my family, we've only had to replace the battery and rear struts (only actually had to replace 1)

Reading the old posts here...this one made me :lol: 3100=185hp street stomper

Ah I love an ancient thread... I can confirm I did see a 2.2 Lumina once in the Junk yard about 5 years ago. It certainly wasn't an Iron Duke. Now the LQ1 97 LTZ... That I don't beleive ever existed.