Polishing throttle body

GrandPrix34

i have a 93 DOHC and i wanted to polish the throttle body wit simple sand paper till it got real smooth, maybe go from grit to grit till it was nice and shiny...any good? WOuld i gain anything from this?

Future project included the upper intake, you know, take the plenum off and really polish the runners on it and maybe later the lower intake...any suggestions, comments on this?

by the way, would another, larger throttle plate from a different car match ours? like if i went 2 a junk yard and found a larger throttle body like from a v8 or something, could i rip the plate out and bore the t.b. and use that plate instead?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok the sand paper idea wou'nt work or at least efficently. get or borrow a die grinder that is what I used. I did the lower intake its really easy the lower intake is only a couple inches long so it is easy to do. I noticed a suprising difference and if your going to do the throttle body take it off the shaving will hert the motor. another thing that made a big difference is to take the screen off the maf sensor but be carful. I also took the sensor apart and set the sensor aside and "ported" the maf with the die grinder and then put it back together, made a difference. Good Luck!!

93 wont have a MAF sensor or a screen.

I would worry more about the squared off edge on teh TB face, since that doesnt help flow around the corner and will actually cuase some turbulence. I would aim for a bell shaped mouth on the TB and then smooth is out. We did this on Johns car and although it didnt really make any more power, he said the throttle response was noticably better. I have no clue.

http://www.60degreev6.com/images/Gallery/DOHC/JohnDOHC/TBopening.jpg

That is what it looks like now.