Just tried SeaFoam..

GutlessSupreme

i found some, thing is, i changed my oil yesterday.

so you're supposted to change your oil after using this stuff? the bottle doesn't say anything about changing the oil after use, just use 1/3 through the intake or vacuum line and some in the oil and gas tank

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GP1138

• rudefyet

• midnight rider

• 93CutlassSupreme

so you're supposted to change your oil after using this stuff? the bottle doesn't say anything about changing the oil after use, just use 1/3 through the intake or vacuum line and some in the oil and gas tank

Thats what your supposed to do with the gm stuff even though it doesnt say it on the label. I can also foul out the plugs from what i've heard.

i just changed mine 5 or 6K ago

i know they're cheap, but the rears are a pain in the ass.

i'll just run my bottle in the oil and gas tank instead

your just wasting it then, theres a reason theres a particulr procedure printed on the bottle. By not following it you might as well not do it at all. The idea is to clean out carbon depsoits from the engine, dumping it in your oil and fuel wont do much of anything.

Yes you should change your oil after doing this, and yes youll prob want to change your plugs too. Or just get some real cheapies to use while you do this an switch back to the good ones afterward.

your just wasting it then, theres a reason theres a particulr procedure printed on the bottle. By not following it you might as well not do it at all. The idea is to clean out carbon depsoits from the engine, dumping it in your oil and fuel wont do much of anything.

Yes you should change your oil after doing this, and yes youll prob want to change your plugs too. Or just get some real cheapies to use while you do this an switch back to the good ones afterward.

It says on the back that you can put it in the fuel tank and crankcase as well, in the same type of paragraph as the directions for vaccuum induction.

seafoamgasaps.jpg

ahh, my bad, I used the GM stuff and I dont remeber it saying that on thier bottle :oops:

somehow I doubt your going to get the cleaning as well as the vacum induction method espically the topend

• 2 weeks later...

I just used Seafoam on my car using the vacumm induction method. Well. my car smoked for a while it has more pickup to it, but i still have a nasty ass miss I can't rid of. Its in all ranges. The miss isn't as bad as it was though, so maybe it will come out of it, who knows? :shrug:

plugs?

New plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, and ran a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner thru it. I have checked every vacumm line I could find and they all look fine.

I have a 89 olds 98 with a 3800 v6.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for bringing this back up, but I do have a good reason!

So, this morning I did the seafoam thing, just like it says too. Now, my idle is higher than hell!!! All the vacuum lines are good and hooked back up. Is it supposed to do this?!?!?!

check the vacuum lines one more time, just to be sure and no its not supposed to do that. how many miles on the motor?? just wondering cause unless u have 40K+ that prob won't do much for u. and u don't even need it if u drive your car aggressively. edit: just noticed u pulled the plenum on the car, did u replace the gaskets?

Yep, has a new gasket on it. When I used that Seafoam, it smoked for a few minutes, fairly heavily too. The motor now has about 17,000 miles on it.

Also, the IAC had became disconnected when I pulled the vacuum line out, so the high idle problem was from that. The car runs much better since I replaced the gasket, but it still misses at idle everyonce in a while, and heavily at WOT.

Thats what your supposed to do with the gm stuff even though it doesnt say it on the label. I can also foul out the plugs from what i've heard.

it ill cause an SES to go off, only for a little while

mine lasted a day, until they were clean.

i didnt change my plugs or do an oil change in this car or my lumina, you'll be all set man

if it fouls your plugs, just dive it like you stole it for a day or two :twisted:

Another Quick way to clean out your combustion chamber and shit is a spritz bottle of water and your hand on the throttle. Hold it at about 4-5k rpms and spritz a bit of water into the intake. the engine will bog, but you will notice a nice thick cloud of black smoke. Thats all the carbon in the chamber getting steam cleaned out the motor. Gotta be careful tho, too much water and OOPS! Hydrolock. It will be a minor hydrolock however, prolly remedied by a simple removal of the spark plugs and a quick crank. Thats how i clean my motor out. I wonder if this seafoam thing will help it even more.

Another Quick way to clean out your combustion chamber and shit is a spritz bottle of water and your hand on the throttle. Hold it at about 4-5k rpms and spritz a bit of water into the intake. the engine will bog, but you will notice a nice thick cloud of black smoke. Thats all the carbon in the chamber getting steam cleaned out the motor. Gotta be careful tho, too much water and OOPS! Hydrolock. It will be a minor hydrolock however, prolly remedied by a simple removal of the spark plugs and a quick crank. Thats how i clean my motor out. I wonder if this seafoam thing will help it even more.

:!: :!: :!: Some verification that this isn't kick in the nuts stupid thing to do, and I will be out with a spritz bottle on my intake. Otherwise :willynilly: :willynilly: Holy shit!

I forgot that some of you guys have SCs and Turbos. DO NOT DO IT WITH A SC or Turbo. Water will instantly evaporate and possibly rust up the screws/turbines. In the engine the rust immediatly burns up, but not in the SC or Turbo.

Find A guy with a bad running motor and use him as a guinea pig. If you dont shoot alot of water in it, it will be fine and more then likely run a whole hell of alot better.