Digi dash from a Cutlass.. into a 90 Lumina? Hmmm..

Dirty Rockstar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dirty Rockstar

• DiscoStudd

• GnatGoSplat

• Brian P

Just wonderin.. I LOVE the digital dahs (UB3??) In the 90-91 Cutlasses.. Would I be able to get it to operate in my Lumina? I'd LOVE to see that thing every time I check my guages :P Let me know, lol..

1d_3.JPG

:cry: i miss that cluster......

StEVEzAsYcHo sure IS tacklin it in his Lumina.. I have it apart, and Im gonna go try a test run in the driveway maybe today.. See what I need to change, and so on.. Then, Ill modify a cluster to work in it.. Gonna kick ass.. lol

Good luck! I heard the new GM's with the digital Odometers need a special programmer to reflash the NVM (non-volatile memory)chip. Not too sure about the late 80's clusters, but my 87 Grand Am had a digi-odometer, and the Hayne's manual showed a location of the NVM chip, so maybe it is the same between new and old GM digi-clusters??? I'm sure if you did a search, there's probably a black market for cluster reprogrammers that you could get your hands on...

Ill have my dad check w/ our guy at GM.. I went out and played a little bit.. it LOOKS LIKE the wires are the same, just in different spots.. Im gonna go pull a 90 Lumina harness connector and compare.. Face to face.. err.. wires.. lol.. THEN, Ill cut the old, extend the Lumina wires a bit, and neatly splice in the Digi connector.. yay! lol

Ill have my dad check w/ our guy at GM.. I went out and played a little bit.. it LOOKS LIKE the wires are the same, just in different spots.. Im gonna go pull a 90 Lumina harness connector and compare.. Face to face.. err.. wires.. lol.. THEN, Ill cut the old, extend the Lumina wires a bit, and neatly splice in the Digi connector.. yay! lol
Before you hack any wires, try taking the pins out of the connector and see if they're the same as the ones in the Cutty's connector. If they are the same, just reassemble your cars pins into the Cutty harness. It takes forever to do this, but it's worth it in the end. Be sure to make a chart of where the wires go...

The only reason I brought up hackin the wires was because the Luminas harness needs to be extended about 4-6 inches because it connects in from the right side.. The Digital comes in from the top..

Aah, I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw... I was just having flashbacks to when I did a cluster swap in my 85 Grand Am, that's all. The idea was in my head to hack apart the harness, but I came to my senses after seeing how little clearance I had to work with behind where the cluster sat.

Good times, though. Have fun making that work! I remember the hell I went through to get an 89 GA cluster to work in my 85. The 85 had the stupid "backwards L" shaped speedo that was driving me nuts, and the 89's cluster was wired differently. I spent nearly 8 hours rearranging the pinouts on the cluster harness (a lot of that was from tearing apart the whole dash) but the end result justified the hard work...

LOL Disco.. I pulled the same thing in my 87 6k.. Although, the 6000 is pre-wired for both the full gauge package, and the speedo/fuel combo.. All I had to do was drop in, and replace the temp/oil switrches w/ about 25 bucks in senders.. LOL.. Here are some pics of that swap:

Before:

Speedometer.jpg

After:

After_swap.JPG

WELL worth that effort in 100*+ weather! Especially at NIGHT! :D

I want too try this still also. i have a cutty here at home with a base cluster that's a parts car. and a 2 z-34 parts cars. took the cutty dash out, and put if in the place of the lumina one. you'll need something too prop up the cutty dash. the cutty cluster is something like 1 1/2" shorter also. need too make some for pannel too make it look good. other than that, get the wiring pin info off the w-body page. and get the lumina wiring info outa a lumina manual from gm. go thru, and match em up. and see whatcha got. i just never got ahold of a digital cluster from a cutty :roll:

anyone got one for sale??

LOL Disco.. I pulled the same thing in my 87 6k.. Although, the 6000 is pre-wired for both the full gauge package, and the speedo/fuel combo.. All I had to do was drop in, and replace the temp/oil switrches w/ about 25 bucks in senders.. LOL..

You lucked out, then. I not only had to rewire the pinouts and change the senders, I had to run an extra wire from the coolant temp sensor to the cluster to get the gauge to function. I also had to run a new set of wires to a tach filter (cause the 85 Iron Duke had an actual distributor instead of the DIS) to get the tach to work properly. I actually ran it without the tach working for a couple of months while I scoured the boneyards for a tach filter. I ended up finding one on a Sunbird 2.0 Turbo.

Wish I had taken some pics, but this was back in 99 when digi-cams were outrageously expensive. I can tell you this, the 85's cluster had the same machined finish, fonts, and colors as the one in your 6000. The speedometer had a backwards L shape, and it had no other gauges other than the fuel. Instead of symbols lighting up for the warnings, there were colored boxes that lit up with their symbols above them (it sucked for the turn signals cause the boxes were right next to each other and there were no green arrows....

If stumble on one, post some pics, Disco.. Im goin out the the JY in the next couple days to get new Rocker Panels and Side skirts for the Warrior.. (My car's name is Dark Warrior.. lol) so Ill grab my connector for comparison and the lights I plan to use for the Operational Warning System.. Also, I am driving RIGHT BY THE PARK I HAVE IN MIND FOR THE MEET! lol.. Gonna bring my cam too!

If it were a full gauge thing lookin like that, it may look kinda sweet.. I dunno.. I lke ugly things as they have character.. Not Circus Ugly though.. Gross..

reminds me of my cousins S-10 Blazer
I could actually live with an S-10's cluster (the 87-93's anyway) because the speedo moved in the "proper" direction...

0d_4.JPG