turbo shortblock

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i'm looking for advice/suggestions on what i should do about my 3.1 turbo project. i almost have almost everything needed to turbocharge my 3.1, except a nice strong shortblock. what should i do? have mine rebuilt with a 3100 crank? buy a shortblock from Advance? should i get lower compression pistons? what about the cam?!? ugh. i'm not going to be doing the engine until spring; right now i'm just trying to get an idea of what my options are. thanks,

joshua

i might just throw the turbo parts on my 185,000 mile engine, and limit boost to 5lbs.

I would think that as long as you don't run over 10 pounds of boost you wouldn't have any problems with normal compression pistons. If you did go with them your bottom end would suffer till you got some spool up. I would see what the options are for studding your heads though, to make sure you've got a good tight head-to-block seal. One thing to remember is high octane fuel. If you live in a state with only 91 octane, you might wanner tweak the boost down a little.

Not being a hardcore expert, but someone who reads TGP post for years, the stock crank is a special hardened piece which should hold up to a lot of HP. The pistons are of high quality, good pieces. Cam is probably not needed, but Jeff M. runs 1.6 rockers. I installed some of these on my 350 V8 and got a nice gain. Just my observation, although these engines are v-efficient, Its hard to make these cars turn awsome time slips. People should probably be happy with 13-14 sec. 1/4 mile slips unless you go ALL out. TGP's are a little on the heavy side and the motor not real big. After all the 2.8 engine in 88 prior to the turbo 3.1 model only made 130 Hp.

Keeping your car light with these engines is a big factor. I once say a kit car with the TGP motor in it, probably weighed 2500 lb's of less !

I need a 3.1 turbo crank for my Cutlass upgrade. It's not turbo, but it'll be getting a 75 shot of juice. I'm also looking into those 1.6 ratio roller rockers. You've probably read my post about all the lightening done to my car...and everyone thought I was crazy

Guest TurboSedan

i have heard that the 3100 crank is hardened like the TGP crank is. can anyone verify this? will the 3100 crank fit my GEN-2 block no problemo? i'm looking into the 1.6 roller rockers too, along with going to 3.2 liters, and maybe drop compression from 8.9 to 8.4, 3-angle valve job, stock cam, good oil pump, bearings, rings 10lbs of boost. i am not very knowledeable in this area, but i need to know what to buy and tell the machine shop.

will boring the 3.1 to 3.2 cause any change in compression ratio?

that's probably a dumb question but i had to ask...

thanks

joshua

Guest Anonymous

I have seen a few different places that the 3100 crank is the same as the TGP crank. I think the Lumina APV van has the same crank also. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

the ENTIRE BLOCK is the same. The CRANK is the same (981). When I was checking into this about 2 years ago, the only differance between the two was the TURBO components, and the plenum (says 3.1 intercooled TURBO instead of 3.1 multiport FI). The only major differance was something about there being differant valving in the auto tranny.

Taylor

Another thing that is different is the fuel pump. The 3.1 n/a should be running 38 psi at idle and the TGP should run 42 psi at idle. I just got a new fuel pump and it was different then all other 3.1's.

okay there are Differances in the N/A and Turbo motor

from a sencor location on the plenum to other things.

but not to get picky

you need an

upgraded oil pump I would get an oil cooler too.

and uprgrade the tranny cooler

the crank

the 3.1L apv and olds van are the same to 92 so any 90-91-92 crank from the van will work.

upgrade you injectors from 16 to 19 or 21 lbs

upgrade your fuel pump too.

also get a adjustable fuel presure regulator

that sould help you

A few other difference in the turbo block vs N/A is there is an outlet for the coolant line to the turbo tapped into the block. Also the heads/or block are supposed to have a different deck height and the engine is supposed to be a "close tolerance assembly". The oil pump is a high (volume or pressure ?) unit. Of course the fuel injectors are larger.

And an oil pressure line to the turbo comes from somewhere. I haven't memorized where all of the lines and hoses all go and which way they flow.

the ENTIRE BLOCK is the same. The CRANK is the same (981). When I was checking into this about 2 years ago, the only differance between the two was the TURBO components, and the plenum (says 3.1 intercooled TURBO instead of 3.1 multiport FI). The only major differance was something about there being differant valving in the auto tranny.

Taylor

Survey says XXX

The block has a .100 increased deck height, the crank has rolled fillets and at the time, the 3.1 NA didn't. Sure the casting # is the same, but how its treated and machined after casting makes a difference. High volume Melling oil pump. The pistons, rods, heads, and cam are the same as far as internal differences go. The tranny has a different differential (stronger) different valving, and a 3.33:1 final ratio.

I'm pretty sure the tap for the turbo coolant/engine oil cooler lines is there on the na 3.1, its just plugged. The oil line feed comes right off of the top of the boss for the oil filter.

Chris

Guest TurboSedan

actually i'm working on getting a second car right now. i have my eyes on a 2wd '96 Blazer with a Vortec 4.3. but yeah, i intend to see how much this 186,000 mile 3.1 can take :) as soon as i get a 2nd vehicle i am going to pull the engine 8)

joshua

Did someone say the TGP had a 3.33 final drive gear ratio. i beg to differ on that one. i have a book here at home with all tranny final gear ratios and i believe it says 3.43 but i haven't looked in a while. Any one hear it was 3.43?????

Ryan