is a new digital cluster needed?????

BlueCutSupreme

hey, my digital dash only partly works, the gas guage works...

my speedometer just stays on "0" all the time, but it doesn't flicker and is as bright as it should be.

however my odometer does not work either and it flickers...i attempted to fix these problems by resoldering EVERY damn connection on the thing, but i didn't fix shit doing this...

so my question is, should i buy a new digital cluster and my problems would be fixed? or does this have something to do with a loose wire somewhere, ecm problem...etc.??

thanks

Guest TurboSedan

which digital cluster do you have? base clusters are not very reliable; mine started coming on and off by itself and doing other wierd crap so i swapped in the optional gauges cluster. i don't think anyone has had a problem with the gauges cluster.

joshua

yeha i have the 3-guage base cluster, how hard is it to swap the optional 6 in? i know there is some wiring involved, doesn't turn me away formt he idea at all tho. where could i buy the 6 guage? i have never seen one on ebay, so i guess dealer? can u give me a price range?

junkyard of course....my cluster is diff from urs but gm wanted $210 for a brand new cluster for me, and mine was analog. a junkyard charged me 70 bucks for one but even that was a ripoff, imo

Guest TurboSedan

i got one from a guy on the old forum for $50, but i think that i could find one cheaper at a junkyard now. i could find you one easy. the only thing that sucks about the swap is that your odometer will probably be off. check w-body.com page under electrical upgrades for directions; the wiring isn't hard at all....you only have to cut and splice one wire for the tach. all the other wires need to pop out of the base cluster plug and snap back into the new plug in the right location. then change the oil & temp switches out for sensors, and you're set.

joshua

yeha i have the 3-guage base cluster, how hard is it to swap the optional 6 in? i know there is some wiring involved, doesn't turn me away formt he idea at all tho. where could i buy the 6 guage? i have never seen one on ebay, so i guess dealer? can u give me a price range?

Hey, can you find me one too? The yard here wanted to charge me $50 for it too...

As far as the mileage, there is a guy on eBay who sells a cluster repair service and says he matches the mileage. He charges $125, so it's a kind of a ripoff, but that means it's not impossible to set it.

I think the mileage is stored in some kind of a PROM, so theoretically you could keep your old mileage by resoldering chips. I will take a look at the possibilities once I get a spare cluster.

I sold one of my optional 6-gauge clusters to Shawn. You might wanna check with him if you need one. Last I checked with him he hadn;t installed it yet.

Oh, but I plan to!

I still want to replace the plain, ordinary analog cluster in my 94 convertible with it.

If you don't mind analog, the gauges cluster from 92-94 will plug right in. I don't believe any pin swapping is required. I know there are people out there that aren't all hyped up on digital clusters like I am, so for those people the analog swap is far simpler to do.

I changed a base digital one in my 88 CS to analog one from 93 CS and didnt have to do any rewiring except i had to change oil pressure switch and temperature switch and connect the tech. 8)

My base dash has been acting up since day one but after owning it for two years I have found some ways to fix the problem. When It reads Full tank, 188, 127,812.8 I just turn my headlights on and flip the dimmer switch up and and that fixes it every time. When the whole thing goes blank I hit the dash a few times and the does the trick. This is how lazy people fix their cars :wink:

so shawn, you're sayin that an analog from a 92-92 would be a direct plug in to replace my 89 digital dash? if so i'd prolly be interested in buying that analog one off of you, nothing against the digital one just think i'd prefer analog...:shock: