skiiirt

Up until last night the cutty ran like a beaut. I was on my way home from watching the calgary hockey game. The car sounds like it is out of power steering fluid. I checked it and it was low. So today I went and bought some power steering fluid. This seems to have helped but the whurring noise is still present when I turn my wheels. I havent had much time to drive or have the car running but I do not believe adding the fluid has solved this issue.

Anyone have any idea? I was thinking maybe the pump for the fluid. It does not seem to be leaking any fluid.

this is on a '92 cutlass supreme international with the 3.4L DOHC

You might have a leak somewhere that you can't see, and maybe you got air in the system which could cause noise (doubt it though).

Sounds like your PS pump is crapping out. When mine went it didnt make noise but I lost lots of PS fluid which ate away at my serpentine belt too.

My current pump is noisy.. I put in a bottle of Lucas PS stuff and it made it a fiar bit quieter.

I found the bastard. It is leaking near the right passenger seat on the underside. She's drinking power steering fluid like it was going out of style or somethin. Im taking her in tomorrow. Drivin the import tonight :oops:

Guest TurboSedan

mine just started leaking in the same place last night while i was at work. it turned out to be the high pressure line that goes in between the pump and the steering rack - it has a pin sized hole in it. it was pretty easy to remove but what a mess down there! hopefully a new hose won't be too much :? it's an easy job with flare wrenches but pretty messy. hopefully whoever does the job for you doesn't charge too much. good luck.

Thankfully it's the guy who replaced my engine who'll be doin this. He usually doesnt charge me for repairs. His wife works for my mom so he gets pressured into it sometimes. hahaha anyways I'm gunna help the guy do it. I love finding out whats wrong with my car and fixing it but I like when someone else does the work :lol:

thanks for the info!

Sounds to me like it's the high pressure line too. Man that thing is an absolute bitch to replace on a 3.4 equipped car! Especially with an auto! I have had the joy of experiencing this.

Malibuolds, I'm guessing that you say it's easy because you have worked on your Cutlass Supreme with 3.1 and 5 speed. An auto LQ1 changes things significantly!

Guest TurboSedan

Malibuolds, I'm guessing that you say it's easy because you have worked on your Cutlass Supreme with 3.1 and 5 speed. An auto LQ1 changes things significantly!

yes i can only imagine! the 3.1/5-speed combo gives ALOT of room down there :) sorry skiiirt didn't think about that....good luck.

Well, it's not THAT terrible I guess. But to get any access to that H/P line, you have to loosen the front two cradle bolts and remove the back two. Of course you will need to have hooked a chain hoist onto the engine first! Then you need to lower it down until the back of the cradle drops a few inches. You will know when it's enough by looking at the room from underneath. It still takes patience trying to get acces to where the line is connected to the steering rack though!

Well I took it to the mechanic. Apparently it ISNT the High Pressure Line, atleast from what he can see. We're gunna get her fixed up real good monday next week. Hopefully it isnt that bastard line :cry:

Well, I guess there is always hope. If it is that line, the fluid should be running right down it until it drips off. Mine leaked right around the midpoint of the line and this is what it did.

Except the heat shielding material that is above the downpipe got SOAKED with p/s fluid. Then I got the beautiful aroma of burning p/s fluid when my car warmed up due to heat from the d/p. It was nice I tell you.