3100 oil pump drive seal HELL! (pictures) *NEW DISCOVERY!*

Heza

ok, as most of you mightve known, i posted i was gonna do the repair on my old '94 SE. let me first note, that the 3100 is different from the 2.8/3.1 to repair. on the 2.8/3.1, you dont need to take off the upper intake manifold. on the 3100, you HAVE to.

anyway...i got down to it and figured out that my o-ring probably isnt leaking, but my right lower intake gasket might be. it has a huge glob of goo hanging from it and is positioned higher than the o-ring. or is this just part of the oil pump drive seal mess? i dont see how it could be.

i wish i could post bigger pictures, but all i got is cardomain. inputs would be more than welcome. im getting more parts to pull the lower intake off too and change all gaskets while im at it.

505596_90_full.jpg

the damn oil pump drive location

505596_92_full.jpg

...and if you can tell...the damn gooey looking lower intake gasket

505596_91_full.jpg

EDIT - i just looked at the RTV sealant again this morning and noticed a puddle of antifreeze sitting on top of it. suggestions? ...PLEASE?!?!

...also...to take the fuel rails off...do i just depressurize them, undo the two bolts and pull them off? or do i need to do something else?

thanks anyone.

That goo is RTV silicone. Thats what you use to seal the lower intake against the valley on the block. Its normal for that to stick out like that, in fact it should stick out like that to properly seal.

Guest Anonymous

If you pull the fuel rail make sure you rock it back and forth while pulling up. And before putting it back in get new o-rings and put a thin layer of oil on the o-rings. The oil helps get the back in without tearing them. :D

That goo is RTV silicone. Thats what you use to seal the lower intake against the valley on the block. Its normal for that to stick out like that, in fact it should stick out like that to properly seal.

ok...if that's the case....could it still just be the oil pump drive seal? the oil *EDIT - antifreeze* is living it up on that RTV sealant blob. if i dont have to take the lower intake off, id love not to.

ok...if that's the case....could it still just be the oil pump drive seal? the oil *EDIT - antifreeze* is living it up on that RTV sealant blob. if i dont have to take the lower intake off, id love not to.

Prolly the lower intake gasket, but check the coolant fitting on the lower intake......its been known to leak

thanks for the inputs. i planned on going from the lower intake up. i got the lower intake gaskets and uppers. just have to go buy valve cover gaskets and new injector o-rings....well....a few other random things too.

most definitely change that crappy fitting on the lower intake while it is in plain site.

that is what started all my learning last fall.

not a bad thing...just one of them learning things

that is a good tip on oiling the injector o-rings.

wish i had known that when i put mine back together.

will know for next time though.

Monty

fucking GM...got this from alldatadiy.com. still had a subscription that i forgot about.

Engine - Increased Oil Consumption

File In Section: 6 - Engine

Bulletin No.: 87-60-03

Date: September, 1998

Subject:

Increased Oil Consumption

(Replace Lower Intake Gasket)

Models:

1994-96 Buick Century, Regal, Skylark

1994-96 Chevrolet Lumina, Monte Carlo

1994-96 Oldsmobile Achieva, Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Supreme

1994-96 Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix

with 3100 V6 Engine (VIN M - RPO L82)

Condition

Some owners may comment on a sudden increase in engine oil usage as the vehicle mileage approaches 30,000 miles. The increase in engine oil usage is dramatic, typically in the 600-800 miles per 1 quart range (965-1287 kilometers per 0.946 liters). Normal oil economy ranges in the less than 1 quart in 2000 miles (0.946 liters in 3218 kilometers).

Cause

After prolonged exposure to fuel enriched air and thermal cycling of the engine, the lower intake manifold gaskets take a compression set. Engine oil is then drawn into the lower intake manifold and ingested along with the air fuel mixture. Due to the internal thermal temperatures and the efficiency of the catalytic converter, no engine oil smoke is visible from the vehicles exhaust tailpipe.

Correction

Reference Corporate Service Bulletin 766004 and follow the guidelines set forth in it. Check for any external oil leaks and then complete an oil consumption test. If it is determined that the vehicle is using oil at a rate greater than 1 quart (0.946L) in 2000 miles (3218 km), replace the lower intake manifold gaskets.

also...when i was at the GM parts department, the guy even told me that DEXCOOL will eat gaskets apart. ...yet, GM wont admit it.

fucking GM...got this from alldatadiy.com. still had a subscription that i forgot about.

Engine - Increased Oil Consumption

File In Section: 6 - Engine

Bulletin No.: 87-60-03

Date: September, 1998

Subject:

Increased Oil Consumption

(Replace Lower Intake Gasket)

Models:

1994-96 Buick Century, Regal, Skylark

1994-96 Chevrolet Lumina, Monte Carlo

1994-96 Oldsmobile Achieva, Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Supreme

1994-96 Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix

with 3100 V6 Engine (VIN M - RPO L82)

Condition

Some owners may comment on a sudden increase in engine oil usage as the vehicle mileage approaches 30,000 miles. The increase in engine oil usage is dramatic, typically in the 600-800 miles per 1 quart range (965-1287 kilometers per 0.946 liters). Normal oil economy ranges in the less than 1 quart in 2000 miles (0.946 liters in 3218 kilometers).

Cause

After prolonged exposure to fuel enriched air and thermal cycling of the engine, the lower intake manifold gaskets take a compression set. Engine oil is then drawn into the lower intake manifold and ingested along with the air fuel mixture. Due to the internal thermal temperatures and the efficiency of the catalytic converter, no engine oil smoke is visible from the vehicles exhaust tailpipe.

Correction

Reference Corporate Service Bulletin 766004 and follow the guidelines set forth in it. Check for any external oil leaks and then complete an oil consumption test. If it is determined that the vehicle is using oil at a rate greater than 1 quart (0.946L) in 2000 miles (3218 km), replace the lower intake manifold gaskets.

also...when i was at the GM parts department, the guy even told me that DEXCOOL will eat gaskets apart. ...yet, GM wont admit it.

HOORAY!!! -- I think you just solved my problem! My car has been drinking oil at the rate of about 1-1/2 - 2 Qts per 3000 miles for quite a while. Now ill go do a compression test on my engine and if all is good then i know all i need to do is replace some gaskets. I was thinking that my valve guides and/or rings were worn.

grandprix104....ill let you know if its all true. i finally finished the project last night, but got a coolant leak from the heater inlet pipe. fixed it tonight and the motor is seemingly doing well. flushing the radiator, changing the oil and tranny fluid tomorrow and then going to see how the oil consumption changes.

....i hope, and hope some more, back to normal!