"Spare" Gaskets from rebuild. Where should they ha

MommyTaz022200

These are the gaskets I mentioned before that I found after my ex moved out. I bought the rebuild kit for the engine, and my ex put it back together. I'm not sure if there is a reason you'd get extra gaskets for an engine but these are what I found in the garage. I have them on my trunk and spoiler to give an idea of the size they are because a tape measure wouldn't show up very well in the camera. Could any of these be the reason the car runs so shitty, is loud/Whinney, and leaks a ton of oil?

Picture 1

434980_54_full.jpg

Picture 2 (Close up of the bottom gasket in picture 1.

434980_55_full.jpg

Picture 3

434980_56_full.jpg

Picture 4

434980_57_full.jpg

Picture 5

434980_59_full.jpg

Picture 6 (Close up of one of the Gaskets in picture 5)

434980_60_full.jpg

There aren't extra gaskets in gasket sets... ESPECIALLY that many! You really got jewed by your ex. The more I hear about what he's done to your car, the more I'd like to take care of him for ya.

Dear God! I started at the first picture, thinking 3 gaskets might be extra, but I didn't think there was more than one picture. I thought, "those aren't in any of the shapes I've seen in exterior engine components, such as valve covers, oil pans, etc." I've never seen those, and I've never been inside an engine.

I second the pronunciation that you have been majorly jewed. I would seriously look into any legal action that is possible to undertake. I would also either find yourself a mechanic you trust, or a service manual, as it looks like you're going to have yourself a fun job ahead, finding out what all this jackass actually did and didn't do.

Good luck, God help you.

:shock:

Picture 1 & 2 = valve cover gaskets and the gasket for that plate over what would be called the "lifter valley" on a pushrod engine.

Picture 3 = ??? Maybe an upper head to lower head gasket?

Picture 4 = Looks like either valve cover or upper to lower head O-ring seals for the spark plug hole (I don't remember if there are gaskets between the upper and lower head in the spark plug hole or not). The other smaller O-rings, I have no idea, probably also has to do with the heads too.

Picture 5 & 6 = Head end cover gaskets.

These gaskets and seals probably weren't needed if the heads weren't touched.

I'm assuming you have a 3.4 DOHC because that's what these gaskets are for.

what shawn said, plus:

4. at least 2 of those are the front timiming chain cover seals, one for the crank dampner and the other for the timing belt drive gear. the other small o-rings i don't know

5. they go on the rear end of the cam carriers.