Ok, i need some help, very confusing....

slick

Ok, i bought 4spdz34's car about 2-3 months ago. Now, before i tell the problem, i will say that it is an awesome car, and i love it. But, now that its getting warm out, its starting to die on me. The warmer it gets, the more frequently it dies. If one day its colder, it will barely die, and the idle won't even jump. Basically, when I come to a stop, when it does it, the idle will get jumpy, and the car will stall on me. Also, sometimes when im cruising along, the car will surge on me too. So, heres the current specs I have on the car, and I just emailed Josh, asking him what all sensors he used and didn't use, that way i can better guess what is wrong with this car. I also had the car at a shop, and just got it back after it being there for a week. They said they checked and tested everything imaginable, but nothing seemed wrong, although they do know the problem. They tend to think it may be a glitch in the computer or the FFP chip, but im not sure.

93 wiring and computer with FFP chip

95 crate engine with about 5500 miles

4t60e with mods

(see complete list of mods on my cardomain site)

Now, im am assuming right now that when Josh had FFP make the chip, he told them everything done to the car, so it would run right.

Now, I do not want to put anyone to blame here, whether it be FFP or Josh, because I think they both did a great job. But, something just isn't compatible, I'm assuming.

Soo, if anyone has any suggestions at all, please let me know. Any and all help is appreciated.

that's very strange chris. I know the day we took it out and opened it up it wasn't cold kinda cool but it seemed to run great. I bet it's a sensor or mabe the ECU is screwing up. Good luck i hope you get it running soon.

That was the same thing that was happening to me...first it was the fuel pump....then itwas the fuel rail...then the regulator...and then the injectors. now it runs good.

acctually your asumptiom about the chip being made for the car is wrong. i belive its just a normal chip they make. i got it before my trans and way before my motor. it was one of the first

did the shop do a compression test? or cylinder leakage test? what tests did they do and did they give u results. i do have a suggestion though. bring the car to me before u go paying anyone else. its my old car i can tell u were any damn thing is on it.

there was a large discussion on 60V6 about this a short while ago. There are a couple of solutions, but the problem lies with the injectors. Some have increased the idle speed. Or else you'll have to get new injectors. The problem I believe was 91 and 92 before they changed. My car does it all the time too. Don't spend 40 on a new IAC I did and it didn't work. My symptoms were also the same as yours. It did it more when warmer out.

there was a large discussion on 60V6 about this a short while ago. There are a couple of solutions, but the problem lies with the injectors. Some have increased the idle speed. Or else you'll have to get new injectors. The problem I believe was 91 and 92 before they changed. My car does it all the time too. Don't spend 40 on a new IAC I did and it didn't work. My symptoms were also the same as yours. It did it more when warmer out.

Listen to this dude cause it happened to me....I ended up rebuilding the fuel system and the whole time it was my injectors.

replace your Coolant temp. sensor under the plenum and connected to the lower intake...

I had this problem, would start stalling and then finally die when it warmed up. Turns out the coolant temp sensor was chipped from the corner some how. Just so you know this sensor has a BIG say on how much fuel to add to your system. So if its bad and the coolant begins to warm up, the computer is gonna start pulling fuel and you WILL have syptoms (spelling?) of a bad fuel system...I replaced a fuel relay, FUEL PUMP ($120 lab. plus pump cost), ECM ($60), Alternator ($110 - was gonna die anywayz) and had my car condemned by a so called exGM certified blah blah blah mechanic who said i should just sell the car cuz it wasnt worth it and BLAM! It was the coolant temp sensor...give it a try!

replace your Coolant temp. sensor under the plenum and connected to the lower intake...

I had this problem, would start stalling and then finally die when it warmed up. Turns out the coolant temp sensor was chipped from the corner some how. Just so you know this sensor has a BIG say on how much fuel to add to your system. So if its bad and the coolant begins to warm up, the computer is gonna start pulling fuel and you WILL have syptoms (spelling?) of a bad fuel system...I replaced a fuel relay, FUEL PUMP ($120 lab. plus pump cost), ECM ($60), Alternator ($110 - was gonna die anywayz) and had my car condemned by a so called exGM certified blah blah blah mechanic who said i should just sell the car cuz it wasnt worth it and BLAM! It was the coolant temp sensor...give it a try!

the coolent temp sensor has nothing to do with the amount of fuel the engine gets. The Oxygen sensor is what tells the computer if the engine is running rich or lean and therefore to put in more fuel or not put as much in.

Turby, i've cleaned the IAC at a machine shop with there parts pin washer, so it wasn't that.

How do i check the injectors? Any good way?

I'm gonna try a used ECU from the local JY with my ffp chip to see if that makes a difference, if not, its for sale.

I'll pull my coolant temp. sensor out and check it, see how it looks.

Josh, i'll stop by the repair shop and ask what all tests they ran. I'll also be up in Michigan May 22nd for the Kensington meet.

i am gunna try so hard to bring the camaro to that damn meet, the car is in pieces right now. if not i am 99% sure i will be there.

a good way to test injectors. each injector should have around 12 ohms resistance, if one has drastically less than the others it will steal power from the others and they will not work right. or u can hook up a fuel pressure gauge and fire one injector at a time and see how much each one drops out.

if i do go i will bring a whole bunch of tools and i will see what i can find wrong with it. its too bad it is running bad, cause if it wasn't we could put the cam timing mod back on it

i read a link where it talked about the authority of fuel...its in the board somewhere....ill look for it JUST for you...

try this, unplug the coolant temp sensor and see if it runs, at al if that... :evil:

hmmm

my 93 GP 3.1 3spd would stall when i came down from highway speeds.

ended up being the TCC was shot and it would fail to unlock the torque convertor when you slowed down.

not saying it is that. just saying it could be.

Monty

if i do go i will bring a whole bunch of tools and i will see what i can find wrong with it. its too bad it is running bad, cause if it wasn't we could put the cam timing mod back on it

Cam timing mod, i like.

I found out more about my car from the shop. They did test the injectors, and there good. The whole ignition system was checked too, and its all good also.

I hope its not the TCC....

Nope, doesn't shudder. Today, since its pretty cold and windy out, the car is running perfectly fine, no shuddering when cruising along or anything.

well seeing as i only drove the car when it was still cold out i have no clue what your problem is but we will try and look at it at the meet

Yep, please come to the meet. Since its gonna be colder tomorrow too, im not gonna worry about it, but this saturday when i drive to Dayton(about 45 minutes) its supposed to be pretty warm out, and im just worried. Also, I don't think ive ever heard the fans kick on before. On the FFP chip, is the temperature lowered so it will kick on with a lower thermostat, or is it still the stock temperature. If it is, im gonna wire up a fan switch.

i had a fan switch wired up, but i think i cut the wire on accident so u will prob find the wire. its blue and it is cut around the map sensor area, that way u don't gotta trace into the box. u sure about the fan thing? the fans are set for the 180 thermo, and when the car is warmed up one fan normally stayed on all the time. i watched the temp on the scantool, it stayed between 179 and 183.

yeah, the injectors work but they don't adjust properly or some shit. I'm bidding on some injectors right now (please don't be a dick and outbid me) When I get those and throw them in I'll let you know. I am having the same problem and I have collected the facts that it is the injectors!

Josh, you could be right. I usually listen from inside the car for the fans to turn on, but can't hear them. I'll check the next time my car is warmed up though.

Joey b, let me know if it fixed the problem for you. I know when my car was at the shop, they tested the injectors, and they said they were fine, but im willing to change them.