93 Lumina 3.1... needs a 3rd motor? Help!

aaron7

Well, this problem started after I drove 1.5 hours to the beach, then maybe 30 min stop and go, and then 1.5 hours home. This didn't start till maybe 10 min from my house.

It was in the 80's that day, maybe 90. This was last week, on Monday. The temp gauge never went past the middle.

Whenever I get on it the car has no power. It chugs or vibrates too. Idle sounds fine, and if I ease on the gas it performs fine.

What could this be? The car has 120000 miles on it, original tranny, motor is a junkyard pull with about 80000 on it.

Well, we tried new plugs and wires, but it only helped a tiny bit. I'm affraid about it being the cat, as that's what happened to my girlfriend's last car (93 Z24) and it burned to the ground!

try a new o2 sensor, an ac delco one is $50 and it will take you 5 minutes to change on a 3.1

a bad o2 sensor can cause your car to run like shit

Last year My 89 Gp was running like that and then it stopped all the way. I cut the cat off...it did no good. I found out it seized up the rings. I had never heard of that happening. But stranger things have happened. i pulled the motor, and the rest is history.

You might get ready to shell out a couple hundred bucks. The ignition module doesn't respond well to heat. If the car runs bad only when it's hot, it's possibly the module begining to go bad. Make sure also that you've got a clean fuel filter (a cheap fix).

Well, it doesn't seem to be any of those problems. The fuel filter is new, the exhaust has been tested and they said the cat was fine, and it does it cold or hot!

Lets see if I can expain it better:

Even when cold, if you get on it it kinda knocks or pings, but not a rod or bearing knock (well, it doesn't sound like any rod/bearing noise I've ever heard!). At idle it's fine, and if you go really easy on the gas it's fine.

It also revs much higher than normal before it shifts.

The temp gauge is in the middle, and no lights are on (dumb check engine light isn't even on!)

Start with the 02 sensor see what that does. I would still get to auto zone or someplace that you can get codes pulled, and see if anything pops up just in case.