jpjiv

Hi.

I'm a new member here, and I was hoping someone could help me in diagnosing a transmission problem that I'm having.

I have a 94 Olds Cutlass with the 3100 V6 and Auto trans. Recently, the transmission has begun slipping. The weird thing is that whenever this occurs, the speedometer goes crazy. It will go from 30 mph to 0 and back up again. I checked the fluid, and it does smell burnt. I topped it off, but it has still been slipping.

I'm hoping that this is maybe an electrical issue due to the speedometer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If your speedometer is going nuts, it sounds like your vehicle speed sensor might be bad, from what I can tell. It's only like a $40-$45 parts from your local parts store.

If your speedometer is going nuts, it sounds like your vehicle speed sensor might be bad, from what I can tell. It's only like a $40-$45 parts from your local parts store.

Would a bad vehicle speed sensor make the transmission fell like it's slipping?

How bad a job is it to replace the VSS?

The VSS does go throught your computer. I think it does play a role in telling how your transmission will shift, judging by the speed of your car.

As far a replacing it goes, it's just one bolt and it comes right out. It'll be behind the engine near the passenger side axle, down at the bottom of the engine compartment. I pulled the alternator off to get to it easier. It should be a connected with Purple and Yellow wires going to it.

it sure would.....I bought my cutty for $500 with that exact same problem felt like a slipping transmission and the speedo jumped all over the place.... the guy selling it thought it needed a tranny and wanted to get rid of it cheap, so I bought it, fixed the problem for less that $50 and have a perfectly running cutty :D

I just wanted to thank everyone that offered suggestions for my trasmission problem.

I replaced the VSS last night, and the car drives perfectly again.

You guys saved me a bunch of money...

Thanks!

I just wanted to thank everyone that offered suggestions for my trasmission problem.

I replaced the VSS last night, and the car drives perfectly again.

You guys saved me a bunch of money...

Thanks!

told ya :wink:

if your tranny fluid smells burnt i'd definitly think about changing the filter and having it proffessionally flushed, just dropping the pan and changing it doesn't drain the torque converter so your not really getting all the bad fluid out. somethin to think about

if your tranny fluid smells burnt i'd definitly think about changing the filter and having it proffessionally flushed, just dropping the pan and changing it doesn't drain the torque converter so your not really getting all the bad fluid out. somethin to think about

I did that too....very good idea

how come gm recommends a pan drop over a trans flush?

i don't feel like being flamed, i haven't offended anyone here, i was just wondering because everyone seems to claim that a flush is better than a drop, while gm recommends a pan drop instead

Guest TurboSedan

i don't feel like being flamed, i haven't offended anyone here, i was just wondering because everyone seems to claim that a flush is better than a drop, while gm recommends a pan drop instead

probably because you have to drop the pan to replace the filter?

probably because you have to drop the pan to replace the filter?

that's why i say a pan drop, because when you just flush the fluid you still have the old filter

Guest TurboSedan

that's why i say a pan drop, because when you just flush the fluid you still have the old filter

i don't know why anyone would do that? why would you flush the fluid and keep the old filter?

i don't know why anyone would do that? why would you flush the fluid and keep the old filter?

i've heard of it been done

It's becuase you get a build up of varnish in the valve body, and when you flush all of the old fluid out, the detergent in the new fluid cleans it out. The clearances become too large for the valve body to function properly. You get most of it out with a pan drop anyway.

It's becuase you get a build up of varnish in the valve body, and when you flush all of the old fluid out, the detergent in the new fluid cleans it out. The clearances become too large for the valve body to function properly. You get most of it out with a pan drop anyway.

yes you do

No need to flame over that topic. I agree with you. Many people say just drop the pan and then drop it again after a little while and you will get most of the stuff out. Trans flush is a fancy way for garages to make money.

No need to flame over that topic. I agree with you. Many people say just drop the pan and then drop it again after a little while and you will get most of the stuff out. Trans flush is a fancy way for garages to make money.

likewise, i agree with you