uh oh i think my 4T60 is gone

rudefyet

Welp this week my cars been acting kinda strange...at first i just thought is was a fuel addivtive i put in...but that doesn't seem to be the case

um...well my question is....when you're driving down the highway and let up of the gas it should stay in gear right? well when i let up off the gas it goes down to idle rpms...sometimes it goes so low it almost dies...also makes it hard to turn cause i'm barley running enough rpms t run the ps pump

it could be a combination of things causing it...but i think the tranny is the main culprit...lemme what you think it is...i'm kinda happy cause if my tranny goes i get a new car...prolly a TGP :D

Yes, it should stay in gear. If it doesn't, do the obvious and check your fluid. If that still doesn't fix it, fuck it and buy a TGP. :D

Alex, I'll take "fuck it and buy a TGP" for $2000 :lol:

ok on a serious note...probably a stupid question

if i just wanna change the fluid real quick can i just loosen a corner of the pan and drain it out like so.... or do i have to drop the entire thing?

you'll want to drop the whole pan so you can change the filter, which you should do

start by dropping a corner of the pan first though, and gradually remove the rest of the bolts as the old fluid drains out.

Its a messy job, just so you know. You'll have to loosen all 20 million bolts until it starts coming out good.. and there is a fair bit too so have a large container. Make sure you get a kit with a rubber gasket.

Its a messy job, just so you know. You'll have to loosen all 20 million bolts until it starts coming out good.. and there is a fair bit too so have a large container. Make sure you get a kit with a rubber gasket.

if its a 4T60-E the gasket is reusable

if it's just the straight 440-T4 (4T60) (non electronic version) check the TV cable, it sounds like there may be a problem there, I know that my old Regal had the same symptoms because the TV cable was broken inside it's little sleve.

--Dave

I FIXED IT!!!

just another dubass moment for me

thanks the ShockTherapy for the ideas

um...i was just some bad gas...i think the tranny was staying in gear but when the engine got below 1500rpms it kept trying to die on me

i reset the ECU...not sure if that helped or not....but it seemed to run a lot better even on the bad gas...bet still kept trying to die

kinda stragne but oh well it's better now

The 4t60E in my lumina z34 (92) was rubbber and still useable and very supple after 12 years of sitting in trans fluid.

Sidenote- my fluid change went very smoothhly. A little messier than an oil change.

Just loosen a few bolts on one side and let the fluid flow from there, gradually taking out more bolts until one side has no bolts, let the fluid stop and then take the rest of the like 28 bolts out. I used an oil pan to catch the fluid.

The 4t60E in my lumina z34 (92) was rubbber and still useable and very supple after 12 years of sitting in trans fluid.

Sidenote- my fluid change went very smoothhly. A little messier than an oil change.

Just loosen a few bolts on one side and let the fluid flow from there, gradually taking out more bolts until one side has no bolts, let the fluid stop and then take the rest of the like 28 bolts out. I used an oil pan to catch the fluid.

Unless you've done some kind of major modification, 92's did not come with 4T60e's. Those weren't introduced in Lumina's until 1995.