3.1 5spd

ismellrealbad

at the gas station where my old 3.1 LE is sitting there is also a 2 door 3.1 5 speed just sitting there. there was no dad\mage on the outside so it wasnt totalled. the door was unlocked so i went inside to look around and it was a 5spd. i said holy shit and popped the hood an the engine looked in good shape. Im going to go there tomorrow and ask if the car runs or if it needs a new tranny or clutch. if it dont (which i dont see why it would be there) im gunna buy it!

while i was inside the car i was playing with the shifter and it was *really really* hard to shift around i was wondering if this was a sign of anything bad. I want to car to learn to drive stick and as a beater

Guest TurboSedan

my shifter is really hard to move when it's cold outside and the engine is cold. once the engine warms up the shifter feels normal again. how did the clutch pedal feel? did you check the tranny dipstick?

joshua

i didnt check the tranny dispstick but the pedal felt fine. my dad told me he went over there a long while ago and he thinks the guy said it blew a head gasket. if thats the case and he weants it off his lot i bet he gives it to me for 50 bucks. i can still drive it around my nieghborhood for a couple mins whenever i want before smoke pours out the front then just get it junked if it pisses me off

im pretty sure. its got 160k miles on it. if i dont take it someone can ask me for directions here. for anyone in this general tri state area its off route130 in robbinsville. coastal gas station

well im unsure of that price....i have yet to walk over there again and ask (thats how close it is to me). im thinkin there is a 50/50 chance of him wanting to sell it to me. since its got plenty of parts what i think they do there is use them i dont know. but they have been trying to get all these useless acrs off their lot sooo.... if they even sold it im wondering what theyd tell me. im about to go over there soon

Guest TurboSedan
Joshua...

What do you have in the tranny for lube?? I use the GM Synchromesh and it is smooth day or night, warm or freezing ass cold!! 8)

i use GM synchromesh also (fricking $10/quart...). my shifter is only stiff when it's really really cold outside, and only with the side to side movement of the shifter. sometimes it takes two hands just to move it side to side! so you don't have this problem? any ideas?

joshua

Joshua...

I know it is difficult to get to it with the turbo and manifold right there, but you may try disconnecting the shift cables from the tranny and seeing if the difficulty is still there. If it is still hard the shift lever shaft and linkage that goes to the cables in the car need lubed. I soaked the shift lever and the cables in a vat of Tri-Flo before I installed it. It moves very nice all the time.

I hear ya about the GM Synchromesh cost. I get it from my Pontiac guy for $5 a quart. I change it every 3 oil changes in the car. Over-kill I know, but I don't want to do that swap again any time soon!!! 8)

Guest TurboSedan

Thanks Kenny, i'll try that. i don't have the turbo in my car yet, so they are still very easy to get to. i'm also going to disconnect the side-to-side cable from the shifter and see if it is the shifter itself causing the stiffness.

joshua