Regal 3800 5-Speed

ZeroDCX

Would a 5-Speed swap be possible in a 92' Buick Regal? Also, what parts would i need and would the tranny hold 225ft/lbs. trq? If the tranny can't, then what would I need so that it'll be able to? (Assuming that the manual trans is a Getrag-282) ... any help would be appreciated, i'd love a manual tranny in my regal.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking into it now. But the thing is that from what I've read on the forums, the Getrag-282 or 284 won't hold the torque rating of the 3800 series engines. They said that the Getrag 282 is only rated at 208ft/lbs of torque and a 3800 Series I is rated at 225ft/lbs of torque. Also, for many reasons the 282 is a better choice than the 284.

I don't think converting a Regal to a 5-speed should be that much harder than converting the other w-bodies, which I think a few people around here have done. It may be true that the 282 cannot handle that much torque stock, (it probably can) but I've heard it's a pretty beefable tranny too. I've been trying to get my hands on one too.

Yeah, but I've heard of Turbo Fieros with close to 300HP-320FT/LBS Torque and the 282 tranns has handled it well. But on the other hand people with less powerful engines has had a lot of problems with it. I guess the only way to know if it would work for me is to try it out myself.

Yeah, umm that would be all cool, the only thing is that the Regal's floor pan is different shape, so I think u can't mount the pedals.

-Tony

i think the fact that fiero guys have had suck luck with the 282 is because it is a light car........ 300 hp and a 2200 pound car isn't bad....... but 200 hp and a 4500 pound car is definitely harder on the tranny.

i think the fact that fiero guys have had suck luck with the 282 is because it is a light car........ 300 hp and a 2200 pound car isn't bad....... but 200 hp and a 4500 pound car is definitely harder on the tranny.

um, show me a Regal that weighs 4500lbs :roll:

1994 Regal specs(...parents have a 94 so it was the first year that came to mind)

Curb Weights:

Custom coupe - 3258

Custom sedan - 3335

Limited sedan 3463

Gran Sport coupe - 3328

Gran Sport sedan - 3406

So a 4500 lb Regal would require a bumping ass system along w/ a couple of passengers and maybe a dead hooker or three in the trunk. :wink:

EDIT: btw, most are stating that the 282 can't hold up to the torque of the supercharged motors, not the NA ones. Anyways, the 282 should hold up just fine if it's in good shape to begin w/ and you use a good clutch w/ it(so you won't be replacing it so soon....)....

gross vehicle weight of my 4 door Euro is 4432 pounds.

GVWR is not *actual vehicle weight*....GVWR = "The total weight of a vehicle with driver and passengers, cargo fuel, coolant, any options or accessories, and tongue weight if towing." ..so basically that is your car's weight plus everything it can haul safely.

Yeah, umm that would be all cool, the only thing is that the Regal's floor pan is different shape, so I think u can't mount the pedals.

-Tony

I would love to do the conversion and all. But like Tony said, The Regal's floor pan is different." So would the pedals be able to mount?

-Tony

I would love to do the conversion and all. But like Tony said, The Regal's floor pan is different." So would the pedals be able to mount?

Different or not, I'm sure the pedal mounting isn't the worst part of such a swap..I'll look at the Regal and see how it differs from my first gen GP's floorpans later in the week

-Tony

Different or not, I'm sure the pedal mounting isn't the worst part of such a swap..I'll look at the Regal and see how it differs from my first gen GP's floorpans later in the week

Okay, thanks mfewtrail. I'll be looking forward to it.

An update of sorts..I looked at my 93 Grand Prix and a 94 Regal custom sedan side by side today(only the interior/floorboard unforntunately..didn't have time to actually jack both cars up and compare)...the floorboards of the GP and the Regal look to be almost exactly the same from the inside of the car. I would imagine the floorpans are very similar underneath as well...get rid of those huge ass auto brake pedals and you probably wouldn't have a problem mounting up the clutch pedal like the GP's do. I

um, show me a Regal that weighs 4500lbs :roll:

....hell, show me a 2200lb Fiero.....

... the Getrag-282 or 284 won't hold the torque rating of the 3800 series engines...

When in doubt read the sig. 8) 8) 8)

I'm pretty sure I'm making more torque than that. :wink:

wow i didnt touch the floorboards on my 94 GP when I converted it. The pedals mount underneath the steering column and MAYBE my brake switch screw in there but thats it. I'm confused I guess with why you have to even touch the floorboard

wow i didnt touch the floorboards on my 94 GP when I converted it. The pedals mount underneath the steering column and MAYBE my brake switch screw in there but thats it. I'm confused I guess with why you have to even touch the floorboard

They were thinking the REGALS had a different floor pan or something so it couldn't be easily just swapped in.

Travis, looks the same as the Regal basically.the little hump on the far left side of the floorboard might be a very slight bit wider then the GP's though..but that shouldn't be a problem at all. Now someone do the 5spd/3800 swap!. 8)

Okay, now that it's been confirmed ... I need to start looking for tranny conversion parts and saving money. Thanks guys, I just didn't want to get into the swap to find that I did everything, but couldn't mount the pedals. That would suck ...

my cardomain site walks ya through it... there are two or three other people that now have the swap donw with picture and description walkthrough as well.