possible tranny swap?

Nick1234

i tried searching but couldn't findmuch. I was thinking of doing a manual tranny swap in to my 93 lumina, like the getrag 282 and i was wondering how hard it is to do. I have a good idea, but i need someone who has done itr already to fill me in. The only problem i think i am going to have is finding a parts car. I don't see many manual w-bodies, so what cars should i look for? and is it worth it? Thanks

nick

so if i find a cavalier or sunfire or sunbird with a 282, i can take that tranny, and put it in my car? what is the difference between the 282 and the 284? do i need the computer?

Ok, the 284 is best used by the 3.4 DOHC and is plagued by synchronizer problems. The 282 is ur best bet, you would need to get the axles out of a w-body car cuz they are different than the ones out of a J-body or L-body. For the swap you would need the mem-cal (not the computer), any mounts, pedals, shifter/cables/console, and the axles. I think thats about it off the top of my head.

Also, the 282s in L bodies and J bodies had different gear/FDR ratios. The easiest way to do a tranny swap like that is to find a complete 5spd W-body on swap it all onto your car. You said it was a 93 Lumina so it should have a hole for the clutch pedal already, and you can use the old hole for the auto shift cable for the clutch master cylinder then drill a hole in the firewall for the shifter cables too. Thats the hard stuff. Its fairly simple. But, if you havent worked on cars before, especially FWD then I'd say you'd be up a creek doing it on your own