I made A-PILLAR duel gauge pod..

SmokinTGP

pod.jpg

I made my gauge pod and it wasnt to hard and will be willing to make someoneelses if u buy the materials.... I got the apillar at the junk yard for 3 bucks and aftermarket duel gauge pillar for 20.00 bucks i have fiberglass and the rest of the stuff and the painting is up to you unless u provide me with the matched color of interior paint witch you can get at a auto body supply store for like 20 a pint or even get less i only need a little bit to color... i have a little left from mine to do the tan and its close...

well you guys let me know whats up and well discuss the prosess or whatever.......... I cant wait for my gauges now lol... Also im gonna make a pod that comes from the hud for an extra gauge... im putting a boost,pyrometer,trans temp in my three i have mor pick if anyone wants...

acctually i cut the pods off the aftermarket peice and molded trhem to a stock pillar and used a minute amount of fiberglass to make smooth edges and sanded primered and painted and the color is almost dead on... I am picky on color and its good enough for me so whatever that means to you...

pod2.jpg

Thats a little better for u to understand how i did it.... Experiance needed with bodywork... its not the esiest to cut and get it perfect and the pods dont sit exactly the same because the a-pillar twists a litle but both gauges ar flat and even so no harm done....

VERY NICE LOOKING 8) 8)

You can slap some mean body putty (not actually high-solids body putty, just some slang). Paint match looks good too, did you or your shop do the color match? I printed out once the procedures for painting plastic, nothing too bad. Lyle at Lotec Eng tried ours once, I had some spares from Chris A I sent Lyle, he could not make them as long as ours were, and the pods stuck out like a wart on a blonde's nose, but I will NOT knock him for trying. The ones I got from Lyle were cut all the way off at the roof line, and even some at the bottom, leaving a hole there, to me its not for him to do and that is fine. I got some pods and moved them around and found you could put one down really low/bottom of front window line and see it without having to look up at higher ones I have seen other companies make, and with that first one down low, 2 more/total of 3 would still be in the field of view nicely!

Anyways, nice to see a successful custom mod!!

Jeff M

I want one! :D :D :D

Well like i said get a A-Pillar from a 90 grand prix, get a aftermarket gauge pod , and ill do it for you... and if the color is tan than i can spray it for you to..... And it will have the texture of the original also.... let me know what you want to do....

VERY NICE LOOKING 8) 8)

You can slap some mean body putty (not actually high-solids body putty, just some slang). Paint match looks good too, did you or your shop do the color match? I printed out once the procedures for painting plastic, nothing too bad. Lyle at Lotec Eng tried ours once, I had some spares from Chris A I sent Lyle, he could not make them as long as ours were, and the pods stuck out like a wart on a blonde's nose, but I will NOT knock him for trying. The ones I got from Lyle were cut all the way off at the roof line, and even some at the bottom, leaving a hole there, to me its not for him to do and that is fine. I got some pods and moved them around and found you could put one down really low/bottom of front window line and see it without having to look up at higher ones I have seen other companies make, and with that first one down low, 2 more/total of 3 would still be in the field of view nicely!

Anyways, nice to see a successful custom mod!!

Jeff M

Well i would have made the color match but i went to my buddies auto body supply store and we worked the color as gm has no color such lol it took a little time but we got it close enough to be happy with.... I have a little over half a pint still and can spray a few more.... and that putty is ultra light with long fiberglass strands witch works perfect for doing any molding work..... I probly am going back to the junk yard to get another pillar and try to put 3 on but that will be tuff as the heater vent is kinda in the way lol.... and dont want a gauge at the top of the windsheild... but like i said befor im gonna make one for my dash hud display that sits at an angle off the left corner so it wont be in a bad piont of veiw... well se what i do ... lol.. dont know yet.. if you want one ill need a pillar and after market duel pod that screws on and ill cut the pods from that and mold to your pillar..... let me know

what size pods are you using? do you have a reference number? I already have the pillar, just the pods. do you have any idea on which brand of guage you will use?

I'm going to seriously consider having you make me one.

Does the pillar have to be the same color as the interior? I have tan, but I know where I can get a grey one cheap.

Looks very nice!! :wink: It is nice that you are posting that you will do it for others and not try to retire from the labor cost! 8)

I assume you're talking about me. It take a good amount of time to get something like that done right and to make it last a while. I'm almost sure that he'll do it for free for the 15 people that will want it done. But if he does, more power to him. He's apparently got more free time than I do.

Now I know what Jeff M feels like...You try to offer a service to the TGP community and this is the thanks that is returned?

I guess the 10 people a week that email me about my site telling me that it helped them don't appreciate all of that hard work and effort that went into designing it and putting all of that information on there either...So if I took it down no one would care, right?

I'm going to seriously consider having you make me one.

Does the pillar have to be the same color as the interior? I have tan, but I know where I can get a grey one cheap.

No dont have to be any specific color i can paint it tan if you like or leave it in primer for you to paint at home ill give u all the info u need...but if it is a differant color than tan for your car i will need somthing to match it to. as i only have the tan color here...

PS.... here is my email: michael.schwartzbauer@comcast.net

Looks very nice!! :wink: It is nice that you are posting that you will do it for others and not try to retire from the labor cost! 8)

I assume you're talking about me. It take a good amount of time to get something like that done right and to make it last a while. I'm almost sure that he'll do it for free for the 15 people that will want it done. But if he does, more power to him. He's apparently got more free time than I do.

Now I know what Jeff M feels like...You try to offer a service to the TGP community and this is the thanks that is returned?

I guess the 10 people a week that email me about my site telling me that it helped them don't appreciate all of that hard work and effort that went into designing it and putting all of that information on there either...So if I took it down no one would care, right?

Easy now...let's unbunch your panties for a second! :shock: I have always found that custom applications have always costed an arm and a leg no matter who makes them! If you have a common car like a Honda Civic you can buy ARP shit out of the box that just bolts in. IIRC you were charging $120 for yours...excellent price and I was getting ready to buy one from you and decided to sell the TGP during my financial crisis almost a year ago now.

All that I am saying is...WOW it is nice to see someone who is willing to donate his time and craftsmanship to the TGP community for the cost of supplies and materials. If you want to make money...all the power to you... 8)

Ok, now I see what you're saying. The only thing I was going on was you saying that finally someone will make a gauge pod cheap...and as far as I know I was the only other who offered to do it. So I put the two together.

I'm not in the game to make profit...I just want to be compensated for my time (and gauge pods--especially the triple versions--take a lot of time to get right). I too agree it's pretty cool that he will do it for cost of materials.

well no need to make money, and really i wanted a pillar so bad i decided to do it myself and vwala a peice of art...lol And like i said i have some time during the morning as im watchin my daughters and on top of that i got work at night at the shop so noone bothers me as i work AKA Phone calls lol..... That way i get work done...... But as of right now yes im doing it for free labor and after a few get it done i will maybe charge 20.00 bucks for the labor no need to head beat everyone... If your gonna belong to a TGP community why not help everyone as theres not many left... Ive been threw 2 slolen TGP and now on my third this one isnt getting stolen.... lol I dont dial 911 lol..... anyways no hard feeling to whome charges for this work i feel if i can do it I CAN HELP EVERYONE in getting things that arnt availible for our cars.... And on top of all that any TURBO BUICK OWNERS i can get you just about anything for those email me with what your looking for....

AKA http://www.boostjunkieracing.com

Email: michael.schwartzbauer@comcast.net

Hell, how about I send you the one that's in my car now?

I Have no problem with not having an A pillar, hell, I drove my cutlass that way for 3 months because the cheap piece of crap wouldn't hold on the clips. Plus, if I ever sold the car, the pod and gauges would go with it.

Hell, how about I send you the one that's in my car now?

I Have no problem with not having an A pillar, hell, I drove my cutlass that way for 3 months because the cheap piece of crap wouldn't hold on the clips. Plus, if I ever sold the car, the pod and gauges would go with it.

That fine no problem im on IM right now as SmokinTGP msg me there

Hey could you tell me where you got your pods from? The one you made look awesome!!!! I dont remember if you said it in one of your last posts but what size pod are you using? I know someone else asked just never saw an answer. Thanks for any help man!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Hey could you tell me where you got your pods from? The one you made look awesome!!!! I dont remember if you said it in one of your last posts but what size pod are you using? I know someone else asked just never saw an answer. Thanks for any help man!!!!!!!! :cheers:

2 1/16" holes were on my pod and i bought the pods at advance auto it was one of those aftermarket screw in type and i cut the pods out and mended them in stock pillar....

Ok guys heres the break down

I need from you:

--- 1 A-pillar

--- An after market single or duel gauge pod set (the kind your suposed to screw in place) mine i bought from advance auto parts for 21.99

--- The cost of shipping so i can ship it back

--- If your pillar is differant that tan than you will provide the cost of paint and after i run out of tan paint u will provide teh cost of tan....

P.S. Its totaly up to you if you want to provide me with some cash for the labor but as of right now im doing them free of charge... So get them for free as u can...

and thats it I will make your pod

Any other questions feel free to email or im me

I would like one, and I have all the stuff. Could you put the gauges a little lower, so they're almost touching the dash? That's how I wanted to make mine, thought it was a good place for them. Maybe you'd be interested in some parts in trade?

• 1 month later...