electric system

tyroelite

OK, Got a problem with the tgp and hoping the vast bank of knowledge here can help me out. When my car sits for a period of time (sometimes its over night other times few days) and i try to start it again, the battery is dead... like not even enough to make it ding when i put the key in. If I jump it it runs fine and will work all day stopping and starting (usually) but overnight again it will drain. I just replaced the battery as well as the alternator and had these both tested not too long ago and they both are fine. When i get to it this weekend i plan to check the wires from the alt to battery, belt tension and all the battery connections to ground and such. No lights are on in the car when i shut the doors or anything so thats not the problem. I don't have any aftermarket mods that would drain the battery either... no system to be using it only a wal-mart head unit that goes off when the car goes off. Any ideas as to other possible causes?? THANKS GUYS!

You have a serious strain on your electrical system. with the car off, radio off, and the hood light unplugged, put an ohm meter between the battery cable and 1 of the wiress (either the pos or neg) and see how much strain you have on the system. My GP had a faulty headlight switch that strained the system. good luck

-Jeff

Don't check for res. check for current. Anything above like .3 amps is too much (IIRC) My car had the same problem, mine was the brake lights staying on. (Stupid cashmaster III) So I just check that everytime I shut it down. HTH.

Just some ideas, and past history on such a problem. Like god910 says, the brake lamp switch can hang, check that the brake lights go out after the car is parked and left overnight (NOT a Power Master issue, standard brake lamp switch they all have :lol: ). When the car is parked, hop in the back seat and open the rear seat passthrough to see if the trunk light is staying on. Also, at night check to see if the hood light is staying on by peaking through the hood louvers, or by lifting the hood up just enough to see it. Check the glove box and console light is going out. Sit in the car with the doors locked and closed for 60 seconds, while still locked, pull on the door handles, release then wait about 20 seconds, should hear a faint click of the seatbelt safety mechanism releasing. Last is to pull a couple of fuses from the fuse panel to see which one drains the battery.

Good luck.

Jeff M