GTP vs. GS

rudefyet

I'm not a fan of the LOUD Pontiac noses, beeks actually.

Heheh, I actually thought the SE looked more beak-like the way the front end is more pointy looking. Kind of made me think of a plecostamus without the whiskers.

I guess I just prefer traditional styling. I greatly prefer a grille between the headlights and "3-box styling" which is hood, cabin, and trunk. I don't like hatchbacks or anything that lacks a trunk.

Noramlly I'd say get GTP, but GPs are getting old real fast. I'll cast my vote for a rare Regal GSE, much nicer interior than Regal GS and GTP.

Whats the differance between a GS and a GSE anyways. My parents have a GS and I've got a friend who's dad has an LSE and there appears to be little or no differance between the two. So what does the GSE package add that the GS doesn't already have aside from an extra E in the model designation...

Oh, and if you get a GS watch out for the seat heaters. The heating elements break really easily and cost quite a bit to get repaired. Both the passenger and driver's side heating elements have gone out twice in my parents car (99' GS) since they bought it in 2000. And if its equipped with a moonroof make sure its fully operational without any hang-ups becuase those are pretty good at breaking too. Between the Riviera's I've test driven and experience with other people's Gen 2 w-body's I've seen a ton of these things break or not work correctly. What ever happened to T-Tops anyway? They were so much cooler and all you had to worry about then was bad weatherstripping.

I'm not a fan of the LOUD Pontiac noses, beeks actually.

Heheh, I actually thought the SE looked more beak-like the way the front end is more pointy looking. Kind of made me think of a plecostamus without the whiskers.

:lol: Yea the 1st Aurora deffinantly has a head scratcher of a nose. Love it or hate it, somedays cant decide. The GP SE were talking about isnt quite as loud as the Aurora. I think they look more like the nose of a shark myself. I like that one of a kind look though. Whats a plecotamus, any relation to a platapus ? :lol:

Guest TurboSedan

a plecostamus is a 'sucker' fish that sucks on the glass sides of aquariums, rocks, other fish, and also feeds on the bottom. i have a couple of 'em in my tank that are over 10" long. just about any fish tank you see in a pet store will have one in it because they keep the tanks clean.

joshua

Maroonregal "The reason the GS is winning the vote here is because the 2nd Gen GP people have a circle-jerk going on over at clubgp. Just by word of mouth I can tell that for the most part, they alienate the first gen GP people, and pretty much all other w-body owners. This is the more sophistocated crowd, hands down."

I hear ya about that, thats what I get on LeSabre T-type forum. If you dont have the t-type you dont have the same car :lol: Ive sent guys there with 2dr Delta 88s, same car, different lipstick and they usually get ignored. Oh well.

Im a foster child everywhere I go. There is no specific forums for any of my cars. I have the luxury models. This forum and the Bonneville forum are the most openminded, both have guys with all variations of the same cars.

Car specific forums get people into the mindset of "oh so special". Dont get that here or Bonneville forum.

:lol: Yea the 1st Aurora deffinantly has a head scratcher of a nose. Love it or hate it, somedays cant decide. The GP SE were talking about isnt quite as loud as the Aurora. I think they look more like the nose of a shark myself. I like that one of a kind look though. Whats a plecotamus, any relation to a platapus ? :lol:

I actually like the old Aurora front end. It doesn't have a grille between the headlights, but it's sleek like a sports car.

Plecostamus

Whats the differance between a GS and a GSE anyways. My parents have a GS and I've got a friend who's dad has an LSE and there appears to be little or no differance between the two. So what does the GSE package add that the GS doesn't already have aside from an extra E in the model designation...

Now don't quote me on this, this all on what I've heard...that GSE and GS are pretty much the same except the E model is supposed to have a nicer interior than a GS and the same for LS and LSE. Everything is the same but the E's should have something alittle extra for you, what that is...you got me. I'm not too much of a regal guy, but after this thread I'm seriously thinking about one.

Another 2 questions between diffrences in the GS and the GTP:

1: Gas mileage, does one do better than the other, and how well do they do?

2: What's the gearing in the tranny's? Any differences between the two?

Very good questions...any one care to anwser

I'm thinking a Black GS...maybe two tone... with Black rims (the ones with the chrome lip)...and a ram air hood...sound nice?

Also i wanna do a new GTO style dual exhaust system

Last question from me

Any other GM's that have the L67 same insurance range and maybe are a bit faster due to a lighter weight..basically...what's the fastest car that came with an L67 stock...i'm hearing a lot about riveras...so now i'm curious

GTPs seem to be the most geared for the l67, most came with performance shift. the GS is right behind them.

The Riveria is less performance orentated, also it shares a body with the Caddy Eldorado. Iv'e always believed that whatever body it is its heavier then the w-body.

All this leaves is the H-bodies meaning the Bonneville SSEi, Olds 88 LSS and the Buick Park Ave Ultra.

Also doesnt the new Buick Rendezvous Ultra have the l67? I dont think this would be the fasted tho.

1. As far as my observed mileage goes in my GTP(doing the speed limit and a mix of mostly highway and a bit of city driving), I get ~28-30mpg, driving a lot in the city drops it a bit and it drops fast if you stay in boost a lot. :wink:

2. GTP's have a 2.93:1 final drive ratio, the differential ratio is 3.29:1(the ratio of the chains and sprockets equates to that final drive ratio, not the differential). That's about all I know about the gearing, I think I found a site with more detailed gearing information before, but I'll have to search my bookmarks for that.

My LSS is the fastest ! :lol: Just kiddin. From what I've read all L67 drive trains came with the 2.93's. From there its all weight. And the GTP and Regal must be the lightest. The Riv had all the toys so must have some weight. The LSS and SSEi are actually light for the size car they are. The PA Ultras got to be the phat daddy. Its a matter of what you want.

awsome rare personal luxury sports coupe _Riviera

sports car look and handling_GTP-GS

full size back seat room luxury super sports_LSS-SSEI

nothing but class_PA/ULTRA

I beleive the LSS is the rarest. The demand was most likely lower for LSS's w/L67. I personally prefer the look of eighty eights to the Bonneville and was going to get a 88LS anyhow untill I saw this car across the lot. I did not even know the 88's came with L67 or a LSS package for that matter. It was a done deal at that point, I knew I was going to buy it.

Those GS's and GTPs gotta be real nice to drive, but I would not expect my daughter and friends to have to ride in the back. She doesnt mind the Regal sometimes for short trips, but if we ask her she will say "Moms car" everytime 8)

thanks guys for all the responses...i'm most likely going to get a Regal

I just need a little more money and i'll start looking

I'll probably keep my GP since it runs perfect...and just use it as a backup and sell my POS Ranger