Transmission options

Phat Pat

my tranny is either in need of a rebuild or replacement.

my question is about cost of a rebuild, vs a new (performance) transmission, vs. a manual swap

obviously Im willing to pay more for replacement, but if its going to be too high I'll just deal with it until I can save up for a new (well, used, but you get the idea) car because this isnt the end of what it needs, and I want a GTP damnit, lol.

any help would be appreciated

The complete rebuild of my 4T65e including a new torque converter, planetary gear set, and all valves, cluthes, bands, etc... ran me about $1800 earlier this summer. Thats a worst case scenario. My reverse reaction drum litterally exploded and scattered itself throughout the transmission which nessecitated the replacement of a lot of items which other wise weren't bad. In fact the only problem my tranny had was slight wear on the 1-2 band from what the tech told me, other than that there was just a lot of scarring on parts from where shards of the drum went through the tranny. Anyways, if you don't think you need a torque converter you can chop about $500-600 off of that figure.

Expect to pay about $300-500 for a used 4T65e tranny at a junk yard.

I've heard that you can pick up a complete junked 5 speed w-body for around $500-750 at most junk yards, plus when your done ripping the trans and needed parts out you can always sell it back to the yard for a couple hundred. So if you install it yourself you'd definitely save money if you went that way, assuming of coarse that the manual tranny isn't in need of a rebuild itself.