Winter is THE dumbest season

Robby1870

Alright. So I go to start my car today to go to work (keep in mind it was -15*F last night, and Im not kidding at all), and always before I start the car, I press the gas pedal a couple of time. I do this, cuz I was used to driving carbureated cars before mine. So, when I go to press the gas pedal, it goes staight to the floor like the linkage is gone. So, fiddle with it and then try to open the hood.......no luck, its frozen shut and I didnt want to break the hood release stuff. So, I go back in and call work, saying I wont be in today. I look through my Chiltons, it says nothing about the gas pedal. So I go back out there and press the gas pedal. Guess what?!? It works now. So, Im thinking sweet. Then I try to start the car, all I here is clicking. The fucking battery is dead, again. I even drove the car for an hour yesterday so the battery wouldnt get hit by the cold today. This happened about a month ago. It got really cold and I didnt drive the car for a week and the battery was dead. Its only a year old, so Advance charged it up for me just fine. So, I need to take the battery back to them for the same thing, but I cant get the hood open!!!!! I'll tell ya what, winter will do some strange things to a car. Oh, and I cant move it so the hood is in the sun to warm it up....stupid auto. So, if anyone knows how to get a hood open when the hood release is frozen, please chime in

goto autozone, get a can on DE-ICER, put the little spray straw do hicky in the nozzle, spray the bejesus out of the lock mechinism, open the hood and spray it down with PB Brakefast so it doesnt happen again. also, pounding on the hood lack area can help loosen it up, just dont pound to hard.

-Jeff

Propane weed burning torch! That'll melt that damn ice and snow! :lol: :D

Hot water around the edge of the hood comes to mind. But, I've always been told it's not good to shock your paint like that with the extreme temperature change.

Alright. So I go to start my car today to go to work (keep in mind it was -15*F last night, and Im not kidding at all), and always before I start the car, I press the gas pedal a couple of time. I do this, cuz I was used to driving carbureated cars before mine. So, when I go to press the gas pedal, it goes staight to the floor like the linkage is gone. So, fiddle with it and then try to open the hood.......no luck, its frozen shut and I didnt want to break the hood release stuff. So, I go back in and call work, saying I wont be in today. I look through my Chiltons, it says nothing about the gas pedal. So I go back out there and press the gas pedal. Guess what?!? It works now. So, Im thinking sweet. Then I try to start the car, all I here is clicking. The fucking battery is dead, again. I even drove the car for an hour yesterday so the battery wouldnt get hit by the cold today. This happened about a month ago. It got really cold and I didnt drive the car for a week and the battery was dead. Its only a year old, so Advance charged it up for me just fine. So, I need to take the battery back to them for the same thing, but I cant get the hood open!!!!! I'll tell ya what, winter will do some strange things to a car. Oh, and I cant move it so the hood is in the sun to warm it up....stupid auto. So, if anyone knows how to get a hood open when the hood release is frozen, please chime in

The bit about your gas pedal falling down to the floor boards happened in my Cutlass when I had it only about 6 months. The cable or whatever snapped...had to get it towed to a PEP Boys. I paid $75 for the tow, only about 300 yards to Pep Boys :roll: and I think it was $65-$85 for the repair!

Last winter me and my dad were in the parking lot behind my house getting ready to leave 4 work. We hear an engine at full throttle, and were like what

the fuck. We look over and some dumb ass with a mint 87 Cutlass was just letting his car sit there with the throttle frozen down, instead of just shutting it off he let it run untill it started on fire :roll:

Well, heres a semi update. The hood is not frozen shut, the handle mechanism inside the car is what is frozen. So, its not that bad, I just need to get to get it warm, then open the hood and go get the battery charged up.

HAH!

My car never leaked till this winter. Im sure when it heats up...everything will be perfect again!

I also have this odd squeak arround 3kRPMS when really cold...its really odd. But, when the car warms up, and the car moves arroudn some...its gone.

anyone know what that is? It doesnt sound like anything engine related...im thinking more towards cold susp. or the glass or something (really high squeek, kinda random)

jon

HAH!

My car never leaked till this winter. Im sure when it heats up...everything will be perfect again!

I also have this odd squeak arround 3kRPMS when really cold...its really odd. But, when the car warms up, and the car moves arroudn some...its gone.

anyone know what that is? It doesnt sound like anything engine related...im thinking more towards cold susp. or the glass or something (really high squeek, kinda random)

jon

When its cold, it makes noises. Most every car I've driven in the cold has SOME kind of strange noise when everything shifts around. You can't see it all moving, but the slightest bend and flex will cause it.

its so funny...when i had my ceira. Nothing mattered. Nothing made a difference. Really. No noises. Everything was yes or no...no maybe this or that...like the CS is.

If the noise is arround when it warms up, then ill worry

jon

The bit about your gas pedal falling down to the floor boards happened in my Cutlass when I had it only about 6 months. The cable or whatever snapped...had to get it towed to a PEP Boys. I paid $75 for the tow, only about 300 yards to Pep Boys :roll: and I think it was $65-$85 for the repair!

thats happened to me too before on my '94. driving on base my gas pedal went to the floor and my engine just idled. it sucked. i pulled off into the parking lot and let it sit. went to the dealership, spent $15 on the cable, and another 30 minutes or so unclipping the old wire from the firewall and 15 installing the new one.

Last winter I went outside and noticed that one of my cuttys was setting lower then the other in the rear and when I took it down the road realized that water had gotten into my rear struts and busted them. That sucked and when its real cold outside both cuttys sqeak rattle when you take them out till the suspesion warms up.

I couldn't agree more on how much I hate winter.

Agreed. This is one of the worst winters here in NY since i've started driving.

I remember how much i used to love the snow and everything, but now its just a fuckin pain in the ass! I gotta move to cali or something...

Well, it was 40* here today and the hood release lever was un frozen so the hood opened up. I borrowed one of those charger pack things, car started right up. I then started it a couple of hours ago, and no problems. I hope this winter is over