Wood dash trim kits

WhiteOut

So I was looking around on the net and it looks like I can get a decent wood trim kit for the cutlass for around $150. I know I'll probably get ragged on for this, but hey, I go in for the whole "nice car" thing (in fact I almost got a 98' Riviera instead of my Cutlass, but the Cutlass won out since I've wanted one since I was 12). Anyways, has anyone ever bought one of these do it your self kits? How did it look, and was it worth the money?

I acutally was thinking about those in my 88 CS but never done it yet, i saw CS with wood trim in it and it didnt look that bad just where the ashtray is in the car i thought that there was too much wood in one place but i still think i would do it. I have real wood trim in my 02 Aurora and i love the looks of it, so i would say go for it and maybe one day my CS will get it too.

• 6 years later...

lol, yeah it's an old one, but if I would've asked the question in a new thread, somebody would've said that I should've posted here instead of starting a new thread. :shrug:

Has anyone put one on a post 94 Cutlass? :thumbsup:

not that i can remember. Using the search feature is GREAT! but, if you cant find anything in the last 6months to a year. (Start a new one) members come and go, Few stay around for years. and it will be hit and miss. last time he logged in was 2007

I've never seen one that didn't look like a cheap stick-on.

I guess the problem is they ARE all stick-ons which is why they look that way. It wouldn't look factory unless you had custom parts made.

B&I will take your factory pieces and 'custom dip' them to give you a wood finish with a clear coat. Sounds costly and there's no going back if you don't like it. I think it would look good on my cutty which is green with tan top/interior.

Thanks. :thumbsup: I was hoping to find one installed on a 95. The B&I kit is an 8 piece kit and sells for around $144. It looks like from the diagram online that the piece that covers the passenger air vent only goes about 3/4 of the way to the bottom and just stops. Weird.

That process looks pretty slick...and expensive. Only bad part is not being able to remove it if you don't like it.

It was 75 dollars to do a 4 piece set on a fiero, just as an example! he will be doing a lot of my prix stuff!

Wow, that's not as expensive as I thought. An 8 piece "sticker" set is around $144.00. Were you happy with the outcome of their work? How long ago did you have the work on the Fiero? Thanks for turning me on to this site and process in general. I didn't even know this process existed. I've since seen a few others online who do the same stuff. Hell, I could make my entire interior wood grain if I wanted too!! But on second thought, maybe I'll just do a few pieces :thumbsup:

Wow, that's not as expensive as I thought. An 8 piece "sticker" set is around $144.00. Were you happy with the outcome of their work? How long ago did you have the work on the Fiero? Thanks for turning me on to this site and process in general. I didn't even know this process existed. I've since seen a few others online who do the same stuff. Hell, I could make my entire interior wood grain if I wanted too!! But on second thought, maybe I'll just do a few pieces :thumbsup:

Very nice stuff. Ill see if i can dig up a few pics as soon as i get a second.

That looks really good on the Fiero parts. I think some wood pieces on a green/tan/tan Cutty vert would look good, but the trick would be not over doing it.

• 1 month later...

I don't want to go with the wood dash stickers so I started collecting parts that I would want to have hydrographed in a semi-dark burl wood pattern with clear coat. I didn't want to use the stock parts to do this project because I want all changes to this car to be 100% reversible. I got all of the parts I needed thanks to Ghoul and the local jy, so I snapped a pic of the parts and sent them to dip-tech.net to get an estimate. There are 8 pieces total, but I don't think I would actually use the door handle surrounds...I think they'd need to stay black. I also want the main gauge cluster surround to remain black. Here is a pic of all the parts:

post-5307-143689055226_thumb.jpg

They want $650 dip these parts! WTF?! Needless to say, I'll be getting more estimates. I'll try tvhydrodip.com next. $650, geeez...

...I can get a decent wood trim kit for the cutlass for around $150.

Do me a favor please. With so many people have trouble digging up payments...take that $150 to a coin shop, buy a 1/10 ounce gold coin like an American Eagle...hold it for as long as you can stand. Then when you go back to that coin shop to redeem it for $400, think of me.