5.25" speaker plates for 95-97 Cutty fit in a 94?

GnatGoSplat

I want to put door speakers in my 94 Cutlass convertible since it didn't come with the 6-speaker premium sound. I want it to look completely factory so I'd like to get the factory speaker grilles. The 88-94's originally could have come with 4"x6" speakers in the doors mounted on a plate, the plate mounted to a weird shaped hole on the metal door frame. The 95-97's appear to use an adapter plate too, to mount 5.25" speakers. I would greatly prefer 5.25" speakers over 4"x6", so I was just curious if the speaker adapter plates for 5.25" speakers will fit on a 94's doors. If so, is the speaker sufficiently flush such that it will fit within the 94 trim panels and behind the 94 speaker grilles? I guess what I need to know is, how far does the speaker stick out relative to the metal door framework on a 95-97? BTW, I think 94-96 Grand Prix's use the same adapter plate.

I would assume they would.. but that's just my guess.

Granted it's not a factory look, I put my Kenwood components in my doors. I put the 4" woofers down where the factory 4x6 would go, and then the tweeter up where the window crank would be. (if you want pics, lemme know)

Since I've only got the 4 speakers up front connected (rears unhooked), I'll eventually get a US acoustics 4 channel amp, and have the front channels running the dash, and the rear channels running the doors. This way I'll be able to set the sound stage a bit better, because right now the dash speakers are way louder than the door speakers, and each channel is wired in series. (2 ohm load to the amp)

My 89 Supreme HAD all 6 speakers, but I got sick of my 4X6's in the doors and replaced them with Infinity 6.5"s! So, you can fit 6.5" in the doors, if you'd rather them over the 5.25".

The only thing, that is COMPLETELY un-noticable, is the very bottom corner, near the speaker, is sticking out like half a centimeter...

JEFF

Did the 6.5"s fit behind the factory grilles? How did you mount them to the metal frame?

I like the 5.25" idea just because the sound system isn't a huge priority in this car and the 5.25" is (hopefully) plug & play with very little to no fabrication.

I had a friend at FutureShop install them, basically we just used the 6.5" plastic ring speaker kits, you can buy them from almost anywhere. I know he did some drilling(cause I was there), I believe he just screwed them into the metal of the door.

And yes they fit behind the factory grills pretty nicely.

I also had my doors Dynomated which makes a nice difference....

I know what you mean, but the grilles are bigger than they look...basically you can see the entire 6.5" except the top 1 or 2 centimeters...but it looks better...

Also, in your case, the grilles make NO difference, cause there aren't any already, correct!?

Sorry I have no pics Shawn...

REALLY!!?? I think the exact opposite... I don't like the shape and look of the factory grilles...they look to odd...I suppose that's why the later Cutlass Supreme's(1995-1997) got ROUND lower door speakers...

Regardless of whether you get 5.25" or 6.5", I think you should surely use the grilles that are included and just paint them the same as your interior(if they don't match)...

if it means anything, i couldnt use the factory grille to cover my 6.5" pioneers, but that's probably because there's 3/4" space of "carpet" between the grille and bottom of the door panel. I'm going to have them appear factory by using some of that speaker fabric, it should match the black carpet just fine. ANyways

REALLY!!?? I think the exact opposite... I don't like the shape and look of the factory grilles...they look to odd...I suppose that's why the later Cutlass Supreme's(1995-1997) got ROUND lower door speakers...

Regardless of whether you get 5.25" or 6.5", I think you should surely use the grilles that are included and just paint them the same as your interior(if they don't match)...

Thanks for the advice, but I just really don't like round speaker grilles. I feel like the factory shape matches the map pockets much better and works with the lines of the trim panel. Much cleaner look, IMO.

My '99 Silverado has round lower door speakers grilles, but it's a base model. The upper-level has fine mesh grilles that are odd shaped to fit the lines of the trim panel. :)

Well since you all seem to be reading this post...

I have a 95 cutty convertible. I have gotten the components for the from, but can not find a good priced woofer for the rear. 6.5" I think. I was going to do the same with a US Acustics 4 channel amp and power the front and rear. I don't have dash speakers, only door and rear corner. Any ideas?