Z34 EGR cleaning and EGR Code....Questions...

Jon89le

The car is a '94 Z34. The car has a problem where once the engine is warmed up and shut off, it will not start. If it does finally start the revs shoot up to about 3000 and then slowly goes down. The previous owner said a mechanic told him the car was throwing a EGR code. Another mechanic said the intake was clogged (which i find near impossible to achieve). So i tryed taking the EGR off and its got a nice amount of carbon buildup on it. The three plungers/solenoids that go into the EGR itself seem to have like a light dusting of what seems to be rust. Is there any safe way to clean the EGR up? Is it safe to use like SimpleGreen with water on it or should Alcohol be used?

With regard to the non-startup, could a bad Catalytic converter cause it and inturn set off the EGR code? The Cat on the car is shot. Doesnt smell bad but rattles a good amount. You shut the car off and it sounds like marbles. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is there any safe way to clean the EGR up? Is it safe to use like SimpleGreen with water on it or should Alcohol be used?

As long as you don't soak the EGR in solvent, you'll be fine.

I love Simple Green, and seen the best results with it.

But, use combustable intake cleaner if you attack the intake manifold.

With regard to the non-startup, could a bad Catalytic converter cause it and inturn set off the EGR code?

No, because the cat is after where the EGR sucks in exhaust gases.

- Erik