Oil gallery blues

TurboGTU

It was broght up on the cam posts...but I thought I seperate it. The left handed (where the oil filter side is) lifter gallery feeds the crank and right handed lifter gallery oil via the front cam bearing. Why am I bringing it up. CAM WIPE OUT. During initial break-in, the right handed bank of lifters are starved (or low presure)of oil so no spray to the cam lobe is available (lifters have a slot or flat part on them to spray oil to the cam lobes). Even more bad news. I found out that the "distributor" bore leakes some oil presure from the right lifter gallery (....which might also explain the leaky distributor sydrom).

I wonder...has anyone done any boring out of the front cam bearing to increase oil flow? How about plugin up the right side lifter gallery from leaking oil into the disbributor bore (or restricting it)?

I know for sure the initial break in procedure has to be rewritten for us. Theres no oil splash from the crank to lube the cam. The cam sits in its own vally. Also this brings up something else....don't rev the engine up from a cold start. Let it idle for a minute then rev it. Let the oil presure get to the lifters so it can feed the cam lobes oil.

See my3d post in the camshaft for 3.1 topic. There is a product manufactured by GM called OES that has excellent friction fighting properties. I believe it comes in pint containers and replaces a pint of oil with your original oil when rebuilding or reassembling your bottom/and or top end. My father says a lot of sbc guys used this stuff when he was building 1/4 mile cars back in the early 60's. The guy doing all my machine work uses it in all the motors he rebuilds and swears by it. The quality of U.S. produced oils has continued to fall off since the days of the $ 3,000 13 sec. car, see my post, it will explain more in depth and also what may be in store for our new year. Also can't we just put some type of gasket shelac or gasket compound in the distributor hole along wiht the o-ring. Im assuming that the hole you are talking about would be the oil pump drive gear housing".