Another grand prix forums former member

wstefan20

Haha I'll have to add that to my list of "how-to's" planned! Wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it'd be, but defintitely more expensive to rebuild than say a 4L60E. I believe it cost me around $500 (course I replaced almost everything....)

$500? That’s a lot better then $2-3k for a shop to rebuild.

Very true.. I was happy to find my rebuilder for my Cutlass...only charged me $1500, and even rebuilt it again for free, even though the warranty had expired nearly a year. His take was “if I hadn’t done something wrong, you shouldn’t be having problems nowâ€. Incredibly rare these days.

• Like 3

Very true.. I was happy to find my rebuilder for my Cutlass...only charged me $1500, and even rebuilt it again for free, even though the warranty had expired nearly a year. His take was “if I hadn’t done something wrong, you shouldn’t be having problems nowâ€. Incredibly rare these days.

Wow. I need to find me a mechanic like that.

I was thinking precisely the same. $500 and a bloody knuckle or 2? Count me in!

Haha yeah. I'm just kicking myself for not upgrading the internals to forged. I'll get on that rebuild! I've got a spare 4T65E that I can use for demonstration. Might take me a while though

I'd love to have Scotty, FFDP, and the others over here. Maybe someone can point them in this direction.

Just found scotty, sleepinregal, sgtmarshall (I think), and ItHurtz over at the regalgs.org forum by accident today! Can't post anything to them yet, but I'm hoping they make their way over here.

• Like 1

Scotty, Ffdp, and Bill were all very knowledgeable. Brandon also seemed to have the 4T65 all figured out although he was too modest to admit it. I know he learned most of it from Bill.

Welcome to the forum.

I think eventually we'll end up being the home for all the cars on the W platform. We're smaller but are more stable.

Welcome to the forum.

I think eventually we'll end up being the home for all the cars on the W platform. We're smaller but are more stable.

I hadn't thought about it until now but you're right. We are the only forum that's not make/model specific, we encompass the entire platform and over several generations so in reality this should be the last one standing.

• Like 3

^ One of the reasons why I dedicated myself to this forum, I personally found that the other various GP forums were focused on the Gen2/Gen3 cars and paid little notice to the Gen1 cars. The supercharged cars being more attractive than the earlier pushrod or DOHC engine were the focal point. The use of the inaccurate term *pre gen* was abundant.

hmmm....the website server must realize that the term *pre gen* is an insult to 1Gen cars....and is taking the appropriate action to *repel* such slanderous notation... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

hmmm....the website server must realize that the term *pre gen* is an insult to 1Gen cars....and is taking the appropriate action to *repel* such slanderous notation... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

By Nunzi's hand

^ One of the reasons why I dedicated myself to this forum, I personally found that the other various GP forums were focused on the Gen2/Gen3 cars and paid little notice to the Gen1 cars. The supercharged cars being more attractive than the earlier pushrod or DOHC engine were the focal point. The use of the inaccurate term *pre gen* was abundant.

I agree. No one really knew how to help the older gen gps when anyone posted in the gpf. I'd love to own one one day. It's hard to find these in decent condition due to the salt here though. I'd love to learn more about the first gen 3800s. I'm sure they have plenty of untapped potential. 

There's a bazillion first gens on Craigslist down south. They sell for beans and there are companies that specialize in car hauling.

The Coupe in my signature just arrived on a car hauler a bit ago, I found it on CL.

Edited by Imp558

There's a bazillion first gens on Craigslist down south. They sell for beans and there are companies that specialize in car hauling.

The Coupe in my signature just arrived on a car hauler a bit ago, I found it on CL.

I'll have to keep this in mind! At the moment though, I'm stuck in college with a half-broken 02 grand prix and absolutely no money! haha

By Nunzi's hand

I had to tweak the filter at one point. iPB's word filter fondles donkeys, so when "pre gen" was a banned word, it would filter out anything with "pre" and "gen" in it. So if you said "second gen", it would invoke the filter.

Certainly depends on where you are.. I looked around the GA/AL/TN/NC/SC/FL area for ages and never found a worthwhile aside from my '89 Cutlass.

I found 3 candidates 95-96 and settled on my 95 GS. Had I been willing to look at earlier years therewwould have been a dozen or so. That was jusr Regals, and just coupes.