New member from Canada

spnsrkzb

Greetings fellow forum members. I've loved the W-body cars since I was a kid. The Grand Prix GTP from 1991-1996 is my favourite by far. I look forward to being an active member of the forum. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!

This is the first time I've seen someone gather info on the car before buying... usually people buy em first then start getting interested in them.

A W-body platform GM was probably the first car I had ever been inside of my entire life. My father owned a 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme International coupe. I was too young to appreciate or let alone remember that car much. Unfortunately, he had to sell that beauty sometime between 1992-94. He claimed that the brakes wore out too quickly, and it wasn't economically viable for him to keep the car due to the frequent brake jobs. (Is that a known documented issue?) I'm going to ask him if he can look through his old photos and find a nice one I can post on the forum sometime.

Years later he told me a story about it. One time he was curious what the top speed was. After he exceeded 180km/h (Don't quote me on that) the digital speedometer started to flash, and wouldn't go any higher. I'm guessing that's typical of any W-body with digital dash clusters.

Edited by spnsrkzb

Welcome to the forum!

This is the first time I've seen someone gather info on the car before buying... usually people buy em first then start getting interested in them.

I always gather information about anything pre-owned before I pull the trigger on the deal. Its essential to do your research when purchasing anything from online classified ads nowadays.

Edited by spnsrkzb

I always gather information about anything pre-owned before I pull the trigger on the deal. Its essential to do your research when purchasing anything from online classified ads nowadays.

You're absolutely right! That's the way I am as well. I've joined a bunch of forums I don't post at because I was researching a car.

The reason I made that comment is because the W body cars don't really have a fan base like the B body cars or the G body cars that the W replaced. Not a lot of people think about these cars as collectible sadly.

Me personally... I want all 4 coupes. I have the Cutlass convertible, now time to get the Grand Prix, Lumina, and Regal... in that order.

Welcome!

A W-body platform GM was probably the first car I had ever been inside of my entire life. My father owned a 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme International coupe. I was too young to appreciate or let alone remember that car much. Unfortunately, he had to sell that beauty sometime between 1992-94. He claimed that the brakes wore out too quickly, and it wasn't economically viable for him to keep the car due to the frequent brake jobs. (Is that a known documented issue?) I'm going to ask him if he can look through his old photos and find a nice one I can post on the forum sometime.

Years later he told me a story about it. One time he was curious what the top speed was. After he exceeded 180km/h (Don't quote me on that) the digital speedometer started to flash, and wouldn't go any higher. I'm guessing that's typical of any W-body with digital dash clusters.

Yes, the 88-93 cars can eat brake pads and warp front rotors like crazy. It's because the sliders on the rear calipers tend to corrode and seize up, forcing the front brakes to do all the work, which quickly warps them and wears down the pads quickly. It's not hard to fix the problem, you just have to clean and re-lube the sliders, make sure their seals are good, and use the park brake often to make sure everything is working and moving like it should.