Are these good speakers?

carkhz316

I pulled a few sets of speakers out of the Grand Prix I'm parting out. There is a pair of 6x9 Kickers, 4x6 Alpines, and 4x6 Pioneers. Picture with part numbers/ specs are below. I couldn't find much online about them; probably because they're older models. Would these be decent upgrades to the stock speakers in my Monte Carlo? I'd also let em go for cheap if someone wants to buy them as I can't imagine they're worth much.

Also pulled this steering wheel control interface that I can't out anything about either. Anyone know anything about it or have any use for it?

post-3334-143689178675_thumb.jpg

post-3334-143689178689_thumb.jpg

post-3334-143689178707_thumb.jpg

post-3334-143689178718_thumb.jpg

That interface I could see in an aftermarket setup to keep the steering wheel functions, those speaker might be a decent upgrade depending on what you have from the factory

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

All three are really good brands. Couldn't tell you about the individual speaker models.

What gen monte carlo?

I know my 5th gen only fits 5.25", and 6x9"s.

I just got done yesterday changing out the door speakers in my Monte, because the driver's door one was blown.

I just replaced it with a cheap scosche pair of 5.25"s from walmart and they sound fine to me, as long as the still factory 6x9s in the back are giving me the lows and bass the cheap scosche are fine by me.

All three are really good brands. Couldn't tell you about the individual speaker models.

What gen monte carlo?

I know my 5th gen only fits 5.25", and 6x9"s.

I just got done yesterday changing out the door speakers in my Monte, because the driver's door one was blown.

I just replaced it with a cheap scosche pair of 5.25"s from walmart and they sound fine to me, as long as the still factory 6x9s in the back are giving me the lows and bass the cheap scosche are fine by me.

Thanks for the heads up. My MC is a 98, ergo a 5th gen. I wasn't for certain of the speaker sizes. They're all original as far as I know, and they all sound fine. None are blown, but I figured if I could upgrade them, then why not.

I'm interested slightly. Let me know if you end up not using them

Will do since I know I won't use a pair since there's only 4 in these cars. And if Torque_Effect is right, then neither of these 4x6's will work for me. Will let you know.

Heads up. You can easily fit 6.5s in the stock door locations. Also can fit 6x9s in doors with a lil trimming of the panel. Both of my 97s run 6x9s all around

Heads up. You can easily fit 6.5s in the stock door locations. Also can fit 6x9s in doors with a lil trimming of the panel. Both of my 97s run 6x9s all around

Interesting, as the 5.25" I put in barely fit at all.

Then I guess I could have put my 6 1/2" Pioneers I had lying around in. =/

Yup actually had 6.5 pioneers in mine for a while

Depends on the design of the back of the speaker. Slimmer backs (like Alpines) fit in nice while fatter back ones like JVC's or Kenwoods will barely clear the hole.

• 1 month later...

gonna need some clarification here... any actual trimming required with 6.5s? or just tapping new holes and it's ready to go?

you can make anything fit anywhere. especially if you make rings to fit them on. I am not sure about specific cars that I have never personally installed bigger mid range drivers. My thinking is mostly- what gains do I achieve vs. making some 1/4" mounting rings or some pods to install them on. no big deal either way for me because either one is doable, but since a subwoofer can cover the frequency range anyway, why not adjust the low pass a little higher. then cross out the lows from the doors so they don't fart out under heavy load.

i'm not looking for more low end response(the rear 6X9s with a smallish amp have been more than adequate), but if I can open up a couple of extra options by having that size available, I wouldn't mind.

i'm not looking for more low end response(the rear 6X9s with a smallish amp have been more than adequate), but if I can open up a couple of extra options by having that size available, I wouldn't mind.

You're better off with some 6 1/2s in the front. Simple to do, good options, you'll enjoy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk