3100 head swap to 2.8

Justin

I can get ahold of a 96+3100 engine, wrecked, for $50.00. It has the roller rockers, and I was wondering if I could bolt the heads onto my 2.8, or would I have to get everything, ps pump, lines, coolant pipes, etc... As is, the core engine has the heads, rockers, valve covers, intakes, throttle body, misc brackets on front, no ps pump, no lines obviously. Maybe I'd be better off finding a complete 3100 and just swapping the whole shebang in there? Then I'd have the better stroke too, but if I could have the heads on hand for when my head gaskets blow I'd be set.

You have to have the P/S pump from the donor motor. Besides thats, its just heads, intakes, TB etc. I think you have to route your throttle linkage a little different cuz the 3100 has the hookups on the opposite side of the TB, IIRC. That also means exhaust manifolds and crossover, and the coolant lines too.

The engine has the exhaust manifolds and crossover, I suppose I'd actually need the downpipe to the rest of my exhaust as well, eh? Now back to my original question. Can I just replace the heads? I realize the intake design of the Gen II sucks, but I don't feel like swapping everything over. I'd like to use the Gen III heads, rocker arms, and whatever pushrods were the right length. Are the pushrods between generations the same? I understand the newer rockers are 1.6 ratio, plus roller rockers... A few extra ponies for the 2.8 anyways. Is it true you gain a point compression wise when swapping?