96 climate control trouble

96cutlass

Ive got a 96 supreme sl coupe bone stock

The electronic climate control stays on all the time. Head unit is lite up and blower motor also runs when the car is off. Only way to shut it off is if I pull # 15 fuse in fuse block.

Does anybody have any tips on how to troubleshoot this problem.

THanks in advance

Sounds like a short somewhere, or someone was tinkering with the wiring. Number 15 fuse (at least for my 1997 Cutlass Supreme) is HVAC 1 which is supposed to be hot in run only.

If you have a volt meter, test the wiring pins to see if its HOT AT ALL TIME. If it is, then either its gotten connected to the wrong thing, or you've got a short somewhere.

You can also pull the AC control unit out and test it. The brown wire goes to C2 connector, 1st wire (the smaller 4-wire connector).

Unplug the unit and see if you still have power going into that brown wire with the key off and the fuse in. If you DO have power with the key off and the fuse in but the unit unplugged, then the problem is a wiring issue with your car. If you do NOT have power with the key on, and the fuse in, but the unit unplugged, then its a short within your ac control unit, or maybe something with the blower controller relay (its 4am, i've been up all night... cut me some slack since I'm half asleep).