OK how do I get this coolant tank out of here.

Fred931

I have had no luck finding instructions and it sure seems to me that the tank is reeeeeeealy wedged up between several different components in the bay. Dunno where all the bolts are, what all I have to get out of the way, etc. I want to swap in the passenger-side tank so I can route an air filter down the engine bay. Unless someone has a better idea. And don't say A/C delete because this is still a daily driver. For now...;)

Not sure if a TGP front mount tank is different than a regular front mount tank, but for the regular it's just two bolts up top and the two hoses

The factory service manual says to remove the intercooler first step. Without looking (it's dark), I can't see if there's an easier way, but with the accumulator and that metal bracket I know reside just behind the reservoir it wouldn't surprise me if the manual is correct.

I don't recall removing the intercooler to remove or install the coolant overflow bottle. I reinstalled mine a few years ago after running a 91-93 style overflow for a while. If I remember, I'll take a look at one of mine tomorrow.

I have a pipe that you keep the bottle and still locate the filter right behind the IC where it gets tons of air. Its two bends welded together and pretty short. I took it off because it was restrictive compared to leaving it on the turbo. and it has been tested before, the turbo is by far the best place to have your filter.

Remove the intercooler, its the only way. I cleaned out my coolant tank a while back. Once the input air hose and output air hose is off the intercooler, the intercooler just lifts out. The intercooler has two rubber "feet" that sit in holes on the lower radiator support piece. Note, when you reinstall the intercooler, it helps to lube up the rubber feet on the intercooler, that way the feet slide into the holes easier. There is a push in tab on the top of the coolant tank, and the only other bolt that holds the coolant tank in is about half way down the tank, it holds the tank in place and also holds the clamp that holds the AC dryer.

I seem to remember only needing to remove the bolt at the coolant tank/ac accumulator bracket. I'm going to write myself a note to look at my car tomorrow evening when I get home. I'm curious now to see if that's all that it took.

Been awhile, but even removing the intercooler to get to it is 2 hose clamps on the charge pipes, and the 2 bolts holding the intercooler to the radiator support