For post 2006 Impala and Monte Carlo owners, how's it going?

GM-midsize-guy

I was in the market at the time. I liked the new front ends and cleaner lines for the Impala and especially the Monte Carlo.

I also noticed that the 3400 V6 had been renovated some and had become a new 3500 V6 with cam-in-block VVT (variable valve timing), which was also new technology.

I see more Impalas of these years on the road than I see Monte Carlos. That's normal - sedan versus specialty coupe. Many Impalas are used for company cars, security vehicles, government cars, taxi fleets, and law enforcement cars quite a bit. They're out there doing their jobs.

If you know about these later 3500 and 3900 VVT Impalas and Monte Carlos, how have they performed? Are there any weak spots or quirks about them? Consumer Reports isn't digging on these in '06 and '07 form.

We've had our 2006 Impala since April 2008. We bought it with approximately 50K miles. It now has 130K miles. All I've done besides oil and filter changes are: outer tie rod ends, EVAP vent solenoid, water pump, brakes at all 4 corners and a set of tires. That has been everything. It has been a solid, dependable vehicle. The best mileage I saw was last spring right after I put new tires on, I got 35.9 mpg. It's a 3500 by the way.

Fantastic cars and engines. My mom bought a used rental 06 Monte Carlo with ~30,000 miles, with the 3500. She then preceded to drive it 140 miles a day all the way up to 200,000 miles when she sold it to me. My ex and I put another 30k on it before he recently traded it in on something else. Ran PERFECTLY.

Had to replace a few gaskets over the years, namely the coolant crossover gaskets, but not much else.

My favorite thing about the 3500/3900 is their ENDURANCE. That thing ran so perfectly and consistently... no matter WHAT. It ran the same exact perfect way at 30,000 as it did at 230,000 miles. They don't get heatsoaked or anything else either. It runs just as peppy and perky at the end of a 500 mile highway trip at 90mph on a 110* day with the A/C on as it did that cool summer morning upon start-up. AND GETS 30+ MPG DOING IT. The powerband is fantastic too.

I'd like to say there is a reason there are still trillions of them on the road. I plan on dumping one into my 88 at some point.

As the others said, the 3500 is an amazing motor. My parents' have an 09 Impala, and it still runs great. They've put close to 160k miles on it since they got it in the fall of 09. To be honest, I like the 3500 more than the 3800 in my Buick. It has a little more power, and it's just amazingly quick accelerating. Plus, it's a 60* V6, which is known for lasting a long time, especially with regular maintenance.

The only thing I heard of about the earlier 3500 (2006-2008) was a problem with the head gasket or UIM (like many previous 60*). I know of a couple people who have had to have the gaskets replaced.

I replaced the head gaskets on mine. They like to seep externally(and introduce some air into the coolant system), but as you said, the problem has been addressed. With 4 longer head bolts and some such else.

The upper and lower intake manifolds no longer carry coolant like in previous generations, and that cuts down on a huge chunk of maintenance.

The powerband really is great. There was some stat, something like an incredible 80% of available power available throughout like 80% of the band or something

• 2 weeks later...
Fantastic cars and engines. My mom bought a used rental 06 Monte Carlo with ~30,000 miles, with the 3500. She then preceded to drive it 140 miles a day all the way up to 200,000 miles when she sold it to me. My ex and I put another 30k on it before he recently traded it in on something else. Ran PERFECTLY.

Had to replace a few gaskets over the years, namely the coolant crossover gaskets, but not much else.

My favorite thing about the 3500/3900 is their ENDURANCE. That thing ran so perfectly and consistently... no matter WHAT. It ran the same exact perfect way at 30,000 as it did at 230,000 miles. They don't get heatsoaked or anything else either. It runs just as peppy and perky at the end of a 500 mile highway trip at 90mph on a 110* day with the A/C on as it did that cool summer morning upon start-up. AND GETS 30+ MPG DOING IT. The powerband is fantastic too.

I'd like to say there is a reason there are still trillions of them on the road. I plan on dumping one into my 88 at some point.

Interesting. I passed on the '07 Monte Carlo because of the recent addition of VVT in 2006 to the 3500 V6, and went for another 3800 V6 and went Buick again. Yet I see all these '06 and '07 base Impalas (and a few Montes) around with the 3500 engine and in the middle of nowhere plying the interstates. I, too, liked the fuel economy on the ones I've rented, which was amazing for a 3,600 pound car. My heart kinds of sinks when I see a nicely kept '06 or '07 Monte Carlo LT coupe in white or silver with alloys, since I really liked the looks of those big coupes.

You've never plyed an interstate Buck? :-) slightly off topic but I recently saw a pristine blue SS with those rare factory option chrome "torqued blade" wheels... OMG.

To be honest, I like the 3500 more than the 3800 in my Buick. It has a little more power, and it's just amazingly quick accelerating. Plus, it's a 60* V6, which is known for lasting a long time, especially with regular maintenance.

The only thing I heard of about the earlier 3500 (2006-2008) was a problem with the head gasket or UIM (like many previous 60*). I know of a couple people who have had to have the gaskets replaced.

So, there's no foolproof winning here, really. The '06 and '07 3500 VVT V6 in one's engine compartment could have been in the production run that had a head gasket problem. The '05-'08 3800 Series III V6 found in my LaCrosse has been chastised for higher than normal oil consumption. While I am not happy with the oil consumption with my car compared to my first fuel injected 3800, which was negligible, I don't think my car is in the group that was affected. Since the last oil change, I've gone through 1 dot out of 5 in the dipstick normal range in 1,000 miles, which isn't bad.

I agree that the 3500 has a nice power band, and cranks out 211 horses to the 3800's 200 horses. It did feel very quiet in Impala and MC rentals. The 3800 and my La Crosse are quiet, but not as quiet as they were touted to be.

The '05-'08 3800 Series III V6 found in my LaCrosse has been chastised for higher than normal oil consumption. While I am not happy with the oil consumption with my car compared to my first fuel injected 3800, which was negligible, I don't think my car is in the group that was affected.

What's this all about???

My 04 S3 L32 burned a ton of oil, I thought it was due to it's abused past, but this is a known problem?

My dad's 04 SII Impala burned about a quart every oil change interval. Engine ran perfect, no leaks or internal issues. He just drove it a shit ton for work, so an oil changed happened monthly which wasn't a huge deal.

My 2 3800's have never burned any oil, just leaked it :lol:

• 1 month later...
Good me neither :lol:

I learned the word "ply" with reference to ships plying the open ocean or rough seas. Ships ply the ocean, and cars and trucks ply the interstates!

Thanks for all the input. Interesting to see that there is some oil consumption in some Chevy produced V6s.