a few quick 04 questions

Psych0matt

1. how hard/what do I need to do to flush the radiator? I believe it has dexcool, and I'd also like to flush out the rest of the system and just go green.

2. are the stereo plugs the same on a 3g as a 1/2g? I'm assuming no

3. assuming the stock one is still on, is the original oilpan gasket reusable? The drain plug is stripped a bit from someone forcing too large of one on and it's leaking, so I want to just go to the yard and find a pan with a plug, unless anyone has a better idea.

4.with 165k on it, what other maintenance or things should I look for? I know the general stuff, but this is my first L36

5. Will any gm shift knob fit? I want to put my leather T in there

this is my first plan of attack for it, and then I'm gonna get some new rubber on the 1st gen five spokes and throw those on, and then hopefully drive it

I don't know your financial situation, but when I bought my Impala, I took it to my mechanic to have the coolant flushed. 10 year old Dexcool scares me but it was a hell of a lot easier to pay them $125 to flush the system than to do it myself, make a huge mess, and have to dispose of a bunch of used coolant.

I'd pull the radiator with that mileage so you can stand it up on end to get all the crap out from the dexcool. If its an aluminum pan than you just use rtv. If it is a steel pan than its a new gasket. But even a new gasket from GM will leak over time. I'd get a good RTV and put it on both sides of the new gasket. It wont ever leak. Do the tune up as said. No idea on the radio tho. But if it has the Monsoon system then I think you have to do something funky to make a new head unit work.

Any GM car after 2003 needs a chime module. Without it, you lose the door dings, the RAP function (Retained Accessory Power aka the radio stays on for 10 minutes) and any other dings and audible notifications about the car like the low fuel light. Also, you can't use a normal harness because the radio won't turn on. You would have to tap into the accessory wire on the ignition.

Also, since you have the Monsoon amp, you also have Onstar if Im not mistaken. That stops working too.

Here are 2 adapters that work for your set up.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541RP5GM11/PAC-RP5-GM11-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html?tp=3486

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMOS04/Metra-VT-GMOS-04-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html?tp=3486

My advice... google the 2 adapters and find them cheaper.

Edited by Nas Escobar

I completely forgot about that. I knew the 1st onstar cars stopped working, but I didn't know it went all the way to 2006.

Well, regardless, the car might have steering wheel controls, and those would be the items needed to retain that.

I'm not at all worried about losing on star, but everything else would be nice. Given this I may wait to try changing stereos, I mostly wanted an aux in. I may just pull the radiator when it gets warm, or pay for a flush.

I'm not at all worried about losing on star, but everything else would be nice. Given this I may wait to try changing stereos, I mostly wanted an aux in.

I'm in the same boat. The front of my radio actually has an aux button so I pulled it out to check the back. Sometimes they have a stereo input that you can use. No luck on my radio which I assumed was going to be the case. I don't mind replacing the radio but it sucks that I need all of these adapters to retain steering wheel controls, chimes, etc. Oh well. I'll tackle that when I have some more money.

Not sure what radio or if your wiring harness has it but on my 06 with the monsoon, I was able to plug an aux adapter in to where the satelite radio would have plugged in and just ran a 3.5mm jack to my center console storage.

I hate that about car radios. I wish they just came with aux inputs. I hate the look of aftermarket shit

Well, newer cars do come with an aux input by default. 2004 was just too old. I'm sure there's some of them out there with it but maybe just luxury cars.

Not sure what radio or if your wiring harness has it but on my 06 with the monsoon, I was able to plug an aux adapter in to where the satelite radio would have plugged in and just ran a 3.5mm jack to my center console storage.

That's what I did when we owned a 2006 Lincoln LS. Like $45 for an adapter and run the cable. I think my '04 doesn't have that option because I also have OnStar but I haven't fully researched it yet.

The GM radios that came with a CD changer can be converted to GM radios with AUX. There's an adapter that converts the cable from one that's for a CD changer to one where you can hook up your 3.5mm cord. The thing is that it's $50.

If the radio can be used with a CD changer, it can be fitted with the 3.5 jack without having to solder it in.