HELP! My car has a mind of it's own!

San Diego Gal

Hello All-

I am in need of any help, ideas etc. regarding my 1995 cutlass convertible. I got the car from a family member, so I'm the 2nd owner. It is in pristine, excellent condition inside and out. Has never had ANY major problems, only the usual checkups and maintenance. It also has very, very low mileage. Now, my problem....

Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. Does not matter if the engine is hot or cold. On a hill or level ground. Full moon or first Monday of the month. It just wont start about every 3 or 4 days. This has been going on for 8 years!!!! Yes, 8 years.

I have had it checked out several times only to be told "I can't find anything wrong with it, it started up for me every time."

So it's not the battery, starter, etc. etc. etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tried different keys? Sometimes the chip in the key gets worn out and the car won't start sometimes.

Also, tighten the AUX battery post on the driver's side strut tower under the hood.

Thanks for the reply. I only have one key. I don't know where to begin to look for getting another key.

Tried different keys? Sometimes the chip in the key gets worn out and the car won't start sometimes.

Also, tighten the AUX battery post on the driver's side strut tower under the hood.

Hi- No it does not "click" but stuff turns on, lights radio etc. It does start eventually sometimes 5 min later sometimes 3 days. I've had it looked at by 6 different mechanics. None could find the problem.

Does it click when it doesn't start? Will it start eventually if you keep trying? If so, it sounds similar to what I have been trying to track down on 1994 Olds Cutlass.

Can you describe exactly what happens when it doesn't start? Does the "Security" or "Anti-Theft" light in the instrument cluster blink on and off? Does the engine crank but not start?

Sounds like it could be an issue with the key, could be an issue with the VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System).

You can get a new key from any General Motors dealer. They may have to order it, but they should be able to procure the correct one by using your VIN.

If it is VATS related, but is not a problem with the key, it could be the actual module that controls the VATS. There are several ways to either bypass or disable the module.

Hi- When I try to start it, all the normal lights on the dash go on, not blinking. I do see the anti theft light. The engine does not crank or try to turn over. It's just quiet. Should I tell my mechanic to check the "VATS" system? Is this usually a costly repair? Should I try getting a new key first?

thanks for your reply. QUOTE=tornado_735;1214407]Can you describe exactly what happens when it doesn't start? Does the "Security" or "Anti-Theft" light in the instrument cluster blink on and off? Does the engine crank but not start?

Sounds like it could be an issue with the key, could be an issue with the VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System).

You can get a new key from any General Motors dealer. They may have to order it, but they should be able to procure the correct one by using your VIN.

If it is VATS related, but is not a problem with the key, it could be the actual module that controls the VATS. There are several ways to either bypass or disable the module.

Shouldnt b too expensive. I aggree on vats. I accidentally pulled my vats fuse by mistake and it did the same thing :)

Hi- When I try to start it, all the normal lights on the dash go on, not blinking. I do see the anti theft light. The engine does not crank or try to turn over. It's just quiet. Should I tell my mechanic to check the "VATS" system? Is this usually a costly repair? Should I try getting a new key first?

thanks for your reply. QUOTE=tornado_735;1214407]Can you describe exactly what happens when it doesn't start? Does the "Security" or "Anti-Theft" light in the instrument cluster blink on and off? Does the engine crank but not start?