95 Grand Prix Coupe Driver Door Permanently locked.

Stylze76

I have a 95 Grand Prix Coupe SE and I can't get the drivers side door open. I replaced the handle because it got broken, it worked a couple times opening and closing the door. I then locked it and it hasn't opened since from the inside or outside. I took the drivers side seat out and got the door panel off with a little bit of breakage and I can't see anything wrong with the linkage. Everything looks like its still hooked up, door lock rod is actuating, door handle is moving the stop. It doesn't budge at all not even like its sort of actuating anything. Locked solid. I can't figure this out. Please if anyone has any suggestion help this lost guy out. I've even use a pry bar while pulling the handle and won't move at all.

I'd try disconnecting the rod from the lock cylinder and pulling a little harder than normal on the one to the inside lever. It sounds like the rod to the lock has it bound a bit and not able to move all the way into the unlocked position.

Same thing recently happened to me to the passenger's door. I was able to get the panel off from the inside. If you cut away the inside metal to create a "flap", you can extend the opening to have better access to the actual latch. With a screwdriver you should be able to fiddle with the latch, lifting up, and get it to open. My problem was the little lever in there that pops in and out to lock/unlock the door, was getting stuck. I used brake cleaner to clean the linkage real well, then used a silicone lubricant. Before closing the door again, use a screwdriver to simulate the door post and be sure the lever is operating properly. I knew I should have taken pictures! Sorry.

You've removed the trim panel,

can you freely move the lock rod from the inner lock slider next to the inside door handle back & forth, and is that rod assembly moving the lock module at the rear of the door?...(rearward locks & forward unlocks), I'm wondering if the power module is stuck in the lock position (do the power locks lock & unlock?)

if nothing else seems to work, you may have to unscrew the door lock striker from the C pillar (Torx socket & a long extension) from inside the door panel to get the door to swing open,

Your new handle is probably not adjusted right. It's probably pulling on the latch rod slightly even when the handle is not being pulled. This preload will completely prevent the door from unlocking manually or electrically. You're probably going to have to get the panel off with the door shut and disconnect the rod, or break off your new handle and replace it again making sure it's adjusted correctly. There's a fine line between too much and too little on that adjustment, and it's better to err on too little.