Rear Toe alignment tool

Imp558

A little pissed off, thought the Regal came back with excess neg camber and now I realized today one of my rear tires is shot. So I'm going to order the rear adjustment tool so they can do it right. I understand it's for toe but it'll show them that there's adjustment to be had. The big question is which brand is better?

The Northstar brand:

post-4528-143689150048_thumb.jpg

Or the Goodson:

post-4528-143689150055_thumb.jpg

The Northstar is three bucks more after shipping than the Northstar.

Edited by Imp558

The Northstar is three bucks more after shipping than the Northstar.

Well, that narrows it down. :lol:

Hard to say from just pics. Really a matter of $ IMO. Go with the cheaper one, whichever that one is

I thought maybe one of the alignment techs on this site would Say one was better than the other. Given the choice I think the goodson Might be the better option, gold colored is usually tougher steel Then the zinc plated one.

Curious:

Do you have a *camber* problem or a * toe* problem, you mention both,

Why doesn't the alignment shop have the tool to do this job?

Did the techie NOT see that the settings were out when you were there the first time?

After all YOU are the customer.......

Curious:

Do you have a *camber* problem or a * toe* problem, you mention both,

Why doesn't the alignment shop have the tool to do this job?

Did the techie NOT see that the settings were out when you were there the first time?

After all YOU are the customer.......

Most shops don't have the tool anymore. I've actually taken my car to the dealer before and they couldn't align it because they didn't have the tool. The thing is that in most shops, you supply your own tools so not many people are seeing the benefit of buying something exclusive to a particular group of cars.

^ That's an absurd suggestion, and totally unacceptable for any customer regardless wherever they take their vehicle to, if the mechanic uses the excuse that *I don't have that tool because I don't see this platform of vehicle too often* then as the customer your response is....*That's no excuse....go get the tool and keep it in your toolbox* so you can properly do the alignment..if you're going to be in the business then you have to have the tools to do ALL platforms....Especially a GM dealership.

Edited by 55trucker

^ That's an absurd suggestion, and totally unacceptable for any customer regardless wherever they take their vehicle to, if the mechanic uses the excuse that *I don't have that tool because I don't see this platform of vehicle too often* then as the customer your response is....*That's no excuse....go get the tool and keep it in your toolbox* so you can properly do the alignment..if you're going to be in the business then you have to have the tools to do ALL platforms....Especially a GM dealership.

Totally unacceptable... yes, very much so; but absurd... well I'm talking from experience and have actually ranted on this forum about the incompetency of my local mechanics. I personally don't get how a GM dealership or a shop that advertises alignments doesn't have the proper tool, even if there aren't many 1st gen W bodies in the local area.

I actually have a camber problem. But I was under the impression this tool to be used to pull the A arm in. Gotta be better than what they're doing now even if it takes a little juggling. I'll just be happy to have something to show them that they are indeed adjustable in some form. I may pull it in until it looks straight with my level first.

Can't understand why they wouldn't have the tool,But they don't appear to.

I don't imagine they would discard one after they stop seeing a lot of these carsAnd they should have had it at one time at least When they were more popular.

The tool we are discussing here does not alter the camber angle, it only adjusts toe angle, camber is done right at the strut mount flange, one backs off the two mounting bolts & moves the knuckle&strut at the base to alter the camber angle.

Can't tell you what to do where this shop is concerned, I'd personally be looking elsewhere to a shop that is properly equipped.

Edited by 55trucker