New Guy down in Dallas

bobiac

GLAD I found this forum! I'm working on finding a rear transverse spring and the special tool J-35778 that is used to de-tension and remove/replace the spring. Calls to some Dallas-area salvage yards have not been successful, and I spotted the tool for sale on e-bay (but very pricey for a one time use). I would appreciate any help with a potential source for spring, the tool (loaner/rental preferred, but I woiuld buy it for reasonable $), and tips from somebody who has already done it. I read an internet blurb by somebody who removed the rear struts from both sides in order to remove/replace the spring, but I would like to avoid that method. Thanks in advance! Happy Motoring!

>>Sayonara, Pontiac Division *sniffles* --Bob

Edited by bobiac

When I took my rear spring out I put the back of the car up on jack stands set on wood planks. Unbolted the spring support clamps, lifted the left side (could be right side) of the spring with a block of wood on my floor jack. I unbolted the left lateral links from the spindle, pulled the spindle out and lowered the spring down. I was able to slide the spring out the left side of the car. I put coil overs on the rear. The way the spring came out I think it would be kind of tuff getting it back in that way, but doable.

good luck

THANKS for the info! To "pull the spindle out" did you have to loosen the bolts that hold the top end of the strut in place? ` Did you do a strut replacement and other upgrades to facilitate the coilover installation, or just install coilovers over the existing (factory?) struts? If I could simply install coilovers over factory struts, that would be great!

I have the proper Kent Moore tool, but by the time I shipped it to you, and you shipped it back (I'm in Canada) you might as well buy one.

THANKS for the info! To "pull the spindle out" did you have to loosen the bolts that hold the top end of the strut in place? ` Did you do a strut replacement and other upgrades to facilitate the coilover installation, or just install coilovers over the existing (factory?) struts? If I could simply install coilovers over factory struts, that would be great!

If installing coil overs you would remove the two bolts at the upper strut mount, remove the upper strut mount from the strut, slide the adjusting sleeve with the adjusting nut installed over the strut, slide 2 1/2 dia. spring of choice over strut. Install coil spring isolator on strut mount (cutting of ID required to fit over bump stop if used). Install strut mount on strut. Reattach strut to car, reassemble lateral links and sway bar (if you don't remove strut to spindle bolts realignment is not necessary) adjust ride height to liking and enjoy.

A1 Racing 800.669.8442

adjusting sleeve p/n COK12452-H (2.170 ID) $20 ea.

adjusting nut P/n COK12460. $13 ea.

Summit Racing 800.230.3030

2 1/2 in dia coil springs - brand of choice $38 - $70 ea.

Spring isolator Energy Suspension p/n 9.6103G (G for black, R for red) $7 / pr.

Part numbers courtesy of Psych0matt and BXX. Search for coil over thread for step by step pics.

I can't figure how to do links. Some pics in my garage. I hope this helps.

If installing coil overs you would remove the two bolts at the upper strut mount, remove the upper strut mount from the strut, slide the adjusting sleeve with the adjusting nut installed over the strut, slide 2 1/2 dia. spring of choice over strut. Install coil spring isolator on strut mount (cutting of ID required to fit over bump stop if used). Install strut mount on strut. Reattach strut to car, reassemble lateral links and sway bar (if you don't remove strut to spindle bolts realignment is not necessary) adjust ride height to liking and enjoy.

A1 Racing 800.669.8442

adjusting sleeve p/n COK12452-H (2.170 ID) $20 ea.

adjusting nut P/n COK12460. $13 ea.

Summit Racing 800.230.3030

2 1/2 in dia coil springs - brand of choice $38 - $70 ea.

Spring isolator Energy Suspension p/n 9.6103G (G for black, R for red) $7 / pr.

Part numbers courtesy of Psych0matt and BXX. Search for coil over thread for step by step pics.

I can't figure how to do links. Some pics in my garage. I hope this helps.

THANKS for details and tips! Very Helpful! (n00b here -- don't know if this will get to you -- hope it does.........