rear caliper question

j_mezz

Hey guys, I'm all set to install new rear calipers for a 93 cutlass and couldn't get the caliper to fit over the rotor. On closer inspection I noticed that the piston is stuck out too far, like it's engaged. Is this an easy fix or should I return it? I'm really hoping it's an easy fix, would like to get this car on the road again! Here's a pic, thanks for any help!

picture6.jpg

no, was using my fingers...did some searching though. I don't have the caliper tool so I guess I have to take the parking brake arm off and do it that way? but now I need a spring expander tool?

I always used a wrench to do it. box end on the caliper and closed end with a bar through it. No special tools needed. Just need to have a wrench that fits in the grooves to turn it. Once it stops going in I would use a clamp to help it a little more.

Just be careful not to bump the parking brake or it'll push back out.

Last time, I just used some of those double-jointed needle nose pliers I'd bought to make the LONG reach to that stupid coolant hose clamp on the underside of my LQ1's throttle body.

Thanks for the help guys, I was able to conclude that it was bad. I used a flat blade screwdriver sideways and was able to apply a lot of pressure but it wouldn't turn in. As I was working on it I noticed several gouge marks where it looked like someone before me had also tried, unsuccessfully, to turn it in. I also tried removing the e-brake arm but still couldn't get it to sit flush.

I usually try to do my own research for my projects but this was an unexpected setback and I needed good advice fast, thanks for the quick responses!!!

tip: Autozone has a brake compressor loan-a-tool that works fantastic for turning calipers in. It is kind of a rotatory press the turn the piston in by pushing off the braking for the brake pad.

looks like you had even taken the time to paint it up :(

Edited by Crazy K