PPG Turbo Grand Prix Pace Car

Turbo v-sick

Yeah, I thought TGPilot or whomever else made chips similar to the Jeff M chip bought it...stripped it's guts, and scrapped it?

From my understanding someone bought it, approached Kenny about it, and paid him to remove the decals, rollcage then was shocked why he couldn't get any money out of it.

Ahhh ok. That would make more sense than someone like Kenny to do that to such an iconic(to us) car.

I tried searching, I thought I remember him posting about it....but came up empty

Here are some scans of the actual photographs. I don't know why I thought the picture from the back was the model car just a bad assumption on my part. None the less it's quite possible this car is somewhere but who knows. I find it hard to believe that GM or anyone would destroy a car this rare. The seller of the photo's assured me that the pace car was yellow and not two tone(he was not sure of the color when inventoried). He also mentioned that several modifications were done this vehicle to aid in performance for it's on track duties.

post-3417-143689142287_thumb.jpg

post-3417-143689142301_thumb.jpg

Here are some scans of the actual photographs. I don't know why I thought the picture from the back was the model car just a bad assumption on my part. None the less it's quite possible this car is somewhere but who knows. I find it hard to believe that GM or anyone would destroy a car this rare. The seller of the photo's assured me that the pace car was yellow and not two tone(he was not sure of the color when inventoried). He also mentioned that several modifications were done this vehicle to aid in performance for it's on track duties.

but the wheels look like normal x laces in the first pic and funky fake wheels in the pic from the back, also could this yellow be the same as the jamaican yellow later seen on 92 firebirds and trans ams?

The wheels seem to have the same characteristics between the two pictures. Maybe some others can share their opinions? Yellow is my least favorite color but the TGP body lines carry it well.

Edited by Turbo v-sick

The wheels are the same in both pictures posted in my opinion. The wheels are definitely not production crosslaces. I believe they're probably the same as what was on the concept 5spd 300hp car, but I can't say for sure until I compare the photos of the yellow car to it. I do know some of the early cars had various versions of xlaces on them. I'll eventually re-scan all the TGP stuff I have and you can see some of the minute differences in the wheels on at least one of the cars a magazine tested back in the day.

This car is pretty unique. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that grey interior with tan seats?

that's the way it looks but I feel like its a more yellowy tan... if that makes sense but I like it

The interior appears to be somewhat color-matched to the exterior. Hard to be certain with those photos though. I'm going to contact PPG and also join a few forums to try to track down more pictures. I'm sure someone somewhere has good pictures of the car from one of the events it was taken to.

Wheels look the same between the two pictures, and maybe it's just me but the seats and parts of the dash actually look yellow to me, not tan.

And why is the light on the roof different between the two pics? Was there more than one or did they just switch out the light?

I too thought the rear shot was a model, but after looking closely at it, it seems to have way too much detail going on to be a model, even a good one. The license plate lights are accurate, there's screws for rear license plate, the door gaps, espeically at the front door to the front fender flare look perfectly real. The one thing I did just notice however is that the rear shot does not have any TGP badges, while the front shot does have the door TGP badge. The wheels are definitely not standard x-laces, but I'm starting to believe they are the same between the 2 pics.

Adam: Any idea if the guy you won that from knows which indycar races it paced at? Probably some brief video footage of it in some 1990(?) indycar race and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find that footage(probably on youtube already). I don't feel like trying to scan through multiple races to spot a glimpse of it though. :lol: Of course I'm assuming it actually paced a race...

Edited by mfewtrail

I'm an 80's guy, that's why I have an 89 TGP and an SE, my first car. The wheels look like 3 piece BBS wheels, the bolts on the center edge and the hexagon center cap were there trademark, not even sure if they're in business still.

Adam: Any idea if the guy you won that from knows which indycar races it paced at?
Sorry Matt all these guys seem to know or care about were fiero's. One would assume that this car is in a collection somewhere but who knows.

TGPilot did have the pikes peak car in his shop (I was there). The owner had him take to roll cage, instruments, and pressurized intercooler sprayer out. He then had someone else remove all the decals and tried to rent it out. With zero interest he sold it to a undisclosed buyer and it has since disappeared. I looked for it when I moved back to Colorado Springs. The entire shop it was in has been sold and emptied.

He TGPilot never had any pace cars in his shop.

TGPilot did have the pikes peak car in his shop (I was there). The owner had him take to roll cage, instruments, and pressurized intercooler sprayer out. He then had someone else remove all the decals and tried to rent it out. With zero interest he sold it to a undisclosed buyer and it has since disappeared. I looked for it when I moved back to Colorado Springs. The entire shop it was in has been sold and emptied..

That's so depressing to hear. :(