'90 Lumina 3.1 - Work In Progress

beaterbart

Hello to all! I purchased this car almost 3 months ago, have learned lots about it & repaired/replaced quite a few things, but am still have problems. I apologize in advance for the long list to follow :)

Here are the specifics - 1990 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1 6 cylinder "T" code base model.

I was told by the previous owner that the EGR valve was replaced (looks used rather than new), a brake line was mended (a section underneath the car was cut out & replaced), & the catalytic converter had plugged up so that was taken care of (I learned a few days later it was cut out & replaced with a straight section of exhaust pipe).

I put it through its paces & it seemed like a good car for $800 - something I could wrench on myself without paying a mechanic...

I went straight to Walmart to pick up oil, oil/air/fuel filter & got to work. The oil & air went fine but I ended up cutting out the fuel filter as it was rusted to the fuel lines. After that, I started putt-putting around & it began to die as I would accelerate (usually in 2nd or 3rd gear rather than 1st). I was able to restart it though it usually took several tries. Finally it died & I wasn't able to restart it. I called Autozone & was told the coil packs tend to fail, especially "the center one - for 2 & 5". I pulled off the center coil pack, which was actually 3 & 6 & replaced it with the new one.

The upper coolant hose burst, which I replaced. I added 1 or 2 bottles of fuel line/injector cleaner with every tank which seemed to clear up the bulk of the fuel-related issues (the car had been sitting for about a year before I bought it with very minimal driving, so I assume the fuel lines, etc., had become clogged (not to mention it is a 23 year old car)). However, I soon realized that it would not restart when the engine was hot & had been sitting for more than 5-10 minutes!

I talked to a number of car-savvy individuals, mechanics, & auto store workers & the best I got was " yeah I had one of those cars & never figured out what made it do that".

In addition, I have replaced the battery (brand new Everstart from Walmart), & alternator (new from Autozone). It gave out after 3 weeks (replaced under lifetime warranty (though I was stranded in a parking lot & had to make several bus trips!)) & let me tell you - that's a job & a half, especially on a broken foot!

Since the coil packs & ignition control module are right there (& you really need to remove the starter, etc., to easily access them) I pulled them as well & had Autozone test them. All coil packs tested fine, including the one I had replaced earlier, but the ICM failed several tests in a row. I replaced it, along with the coolant temperature sensor. It still wouldn't start after sitting with a hot engine.

I installed an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer, with the probe wedged in between the upper coolant hose & a mounting bracket. I know it's not exact, but when it reads above 125-130°F, the engine will crank but not start.

I couldn't figure why the secondary cooling fan wasn't running anymore until I discovered that the relay was missing! I have no idea how it disappeared, but I replaced it. It worked then (when the temp was high enough, it cycled on & off) but then the primary stopped running. I tried swapping the relays & fuses around but nothing helped. I unplugged the connector for the sensor on the air filter box & after about 45 minutes of highway driving the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. I jumped the A/B pins to get the code, which was 23 - "intake air temp sensor out of range, low". I also discovered 2 more sensors which throw that code when unplugged - 1 on the throttle body, towards the front of the car, & the other behind the engine on the driver's side (between the throttle body & the MAP sensor). Also, both fans run when I jump the connector (with the key turned to "on" without starting the car) to read the codes (at least when it's showing #23 - haven't reset it yet).

I tested the fuel pressure & it's in range, I have yet to replace the spark plugs & plug wires (which are slightly worn but not cracked or exposed). There are no codes displayed & the check engine light stays off. The coolant is circulating properly & has been bled of air.

I have noticed that when the engine is really hot (my makeshift coolant temp gauge only goes to 160°F, so usually when it reads "HI") the engine idles a little on the rough side though it doesn't die. However, when I try to accelerate quickly (more often in 2nd or 3rd gear than in 1st) or if I'm trying to maintain speed on a steeper hill, the engine cuts out & usually dies. I'm able to restart it but it will quit again if I don't baby it. If the engine just cuts out, I just coast for a few seconds & can resume accelerating (cautiously). Is that a throttle/speed limiter at work, or something that can be repaired?

I've read that the fuel injector's internal wiring can become faulty & cause the engine to die when hot/not start when hot. I'm a little leery about pulling the plenum off to test them though I've read they can be tested with a multi-meter. I'm thinking I might as well have another set of injectors (maybe the fuel rail too?) ready to install when I do that. Any thoughts?

Edited by beaterbart